Prolapsed vent EMERGENCY (graphics photos)

Aleah913

Chirping
Sep 4, 2020
Chicken EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP!!! (GRAPHIC DETAILS) I have a hen with a prolapsed vent....it also looked like she had pasty butt so I tried letting her soak Friday night (first night prolapsed) I tried to clean her up but couldn't get it all (mostly stuck on her feathers she was getting stressed and had been in the bath for a while) I put hemorrhoid cream on her and "fixed" the prolapse...she went potty and prolapsed again, I put more cream on her and "fixed" it again she was fine from 230am-8am somewhere between 8am and 12pm on Saturday she laid an egg and prolapsed again, this time she was covered in what I thought was white poop. Now I'm not too sure if it's poop, it's extremely hard and I can not get it off at all! It's stuck all over the part that's prolapsed and her bottom feathers under her vent. (She's separated from the rest of the flock in an extra large cage in my mudroom) she did lay 2 eggs today (sunday) both were extremely soft and broke right after she laid them. Last night she was still able to poop but she hasn't pooped since this morning....I do have pictures that I can post in the comments if you want, since they're very graphic I didn't want to just post them. I don't want to put her down unless I have to but she needs help and I know she's in pain (she acts and walks fine though) she's extremely sweet and loving, at this point I have no clue how to help her....I anyone has any ideas on what to do please let me know!! I do plan on calling the vet in the morning if all else fails...
P.S. I am new to chickens, this is my first flock, I got them September 2020 so I'm still learning and have learned a lot but with this I have no clue what to do and have talked to a couple friends and they're not sure either...

Attachments

• 20210328_210915.jpg
    20210328_210915.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210328_210923.jpg
    20210328_210923.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210328_210942.jpg
    20210328_210942.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 60
The first year with chickens is always the most complicated! Please post the pictures you have, it will help the experts get a real understanding of how bad (or not bad!) the prolapse may be. Pictures are always appreciated when asking for advice, a disclaimer un the topic is good enough to warn those with a weaker disposition against popping onto the thread.
How old is your girl?
I personally don't have much experience with prolapsed myself, but I'm sure someone will chime in to help soon!

The first year with chickens is always the most complicated! Please post the pictures you have, it will help the experts get a real understanding of how bad (or not bad!) the prolapse may be. Pictures are always appreciated when asking for advice, a disclaimer un the topic is good enough to warn those with a weaker disposition against popping onto the thread.
How old is your girl?
I personally don't have much experience with prolapsed myself, but I'm sure someone will chime in to help soon!
She was born Sept 2020 and thank you, I know that some people definitely wouldn't want to see that but I also know pictures help alot! This is the first time I've ever even heard of it, I didn't know raising chickens and ducks could be complicated, I knew about bumble foot but that was about it

How old is your girl?
I personally don't have much experience with prolapsed myself, but I'm sure someone will chime in to help
Someone else posted almost the same thing that I did, his hen's vent looks the same way my poor girl's does...he posted Friday but no replies, he is thinking prolapse and gleet! I'm starting to think it might be gleet so I just gave her some yogurt, I figured yogurt shouldn't hurt if it's not gleet, I have nystatin cream, monistat cream, and regular antifungal cream on hand but I don't want to put anything on her until i know for sure if that's it or not...I just don't want to make it worse.

There's always the possibility of both...? I found this old thread that shows some pretty up close and personal pictures of a hens backside who had both issues going on with the posters progress and treatments:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ins-even-more-graphically-icky-photos.953919/

Chicken keeping gets easier as you go. Once you've been through a few rough patches your first aid kit is pretty well set up and the shock value on what kind of shenanigans they can get themselves into wears off and you'll handle most of it like an old pro who's been there and done that.... but until then, and the rare occasion something truly outlandish or emotionally upsetting happens even after you are an old pro, the BYC community will be here to help! :)

Chicken EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP!!! (GRAPHIC DETAILS) I have a hen with a prolapsed vent....it also looked like she had pasty butt so I tried letting her soak Friday night (first night prolapsed) I tried to clean her up but couldn't get it all (mostly stuck on her feathers she was getting stressed and had been in the bath for a while) I put hemorrhoid cream on her and "fixed" the prolapse...she went potty and prolapsed again, I put more cream on her and "fixed" it again she was fine from 230am-8am somewhere between 8am and 12pm on Saturday she laid an egg and prolapsed again, this time she was covered in what I thought was white poop. Now I'm not too sure if it's poop, it's extremely hard and I can not get it off at all! It's stuck all over the part that's prolapsed and her bottom feathers under her vent. (She's separated from the rest of the flock in an extra large cage in my mudroom) she did lay 2 eggs today (sunday) both were extremely soft and broke right after she laid them. Last night she was still able to poop but she hasn't pooped since this morning....I do have pictures that I can post in the comments if you want, since they're very graphic I didn't want to just post them. I don't want to put her down unless I have to but she needs help and I know she's in pain (she acts and walks fine though) she's extremely sweet and loving, at this point I have no clue how to help her....I anyone has any ideas on what to do please let me know!! I do plan on calling the vet in the morning if all else fails...
P.S. I am new to chickens, this is my first flock, I got them September 2020 so I'm still learning and have learned a lot but with this I have no clue what to do and have talked to a couple friends and they're not sure either...
I think I have something similar going on. I can't get the hard stuff off her pushed out part of vent. Did you get any answers?

Back
Top Bottom