Prolapsed vent... HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheepylove, Mar 28, 2012.

1. cheepylove

cheepylove Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    Southern Maine
    My BR has been hanging off by her self for a couple days. She finally let me close enough to her and she has a prolapsed vent. Can I push it back in? Does anyone know the success rate? Is it more humane to cull?

I believe she is 3. She was always a wrinkly egg layer or a soft egg layer. My other BR from the same clutch was an internal layer and sadly had to be put down last year. Is this stuff hereditery?

2. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I have never had a chicken with a prolapsed vent but i have always heard to wash it with cool water and put preparation H on it. You can push it back in but it may come back out.

3. cheepylove

Sep 29, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I gave her a warm bath, put honey on it, and pushed it back in but every time she poops it comes back out.[​IMG]

4. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    UGGHHHH!! I don't know how else to fix it...sorry I can't be more help.

5. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read that sometimes you have to take them to the vet if pushing it back in doesn't help. The vet will tack it back in. :/ I was a bit concerned about this as well because my Silkie was having the same issue but it has seemed to of healed itself. I just kept the vent clean and olive oil on it.

6. cheepylove

Sep 29, 2009
    Southern Maine
    It is still popping out. Maybe I'm not doing it rite. I am going to try again tonight. We have been putting Prep H on it. Other than that she is perfect. Eating, Drinking, Bright Red comb. Actually I came home and she was walking around the kitchen! She must have gotten out some how, thank goodness it didn't phase the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by