PROLAPSED VENT? HELP!

big_brahmas

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 7, 2008
Central Florida
one of my OEGB pullets has a slight prolapse of the vent. I gently inserted my finger to see if there was and egg but could not find one. There is however a large red jelly like ball (intestine?) pushing out through the vent. It's hardly out but she is still pushing! Help please? What could this mystery part be?!

i dont know how to help..i'm sorry..but heres a bump up..best wishes for the girl..Wendy

I know this is scary, but is it by chance just the prolapse that is red and nasty looking or is there more involved. Sorry to ask such a silly question but a prolapse by itself can look pretty nasty.

Is the jelly like mass outside her body or still inside? Photos might help if you can get them, otherwise...explain it more for us.

This is likely a situation of needing to very gently tuck those parts back up inside (which may have to be repeated until it stops happening) but pics would help confirm.

If indeed a prolapse it may also be advisable to keep the little lady in a fair amount of darkness for a few days so her body slows down on egg production.
JJ

i've been looking for my camera everywhere and can not find it.

the red mass is slightly protruding from her vent, which in it's self is clearly starting to prolapse. it is only sticking out about half a centimeter. it started very moist and is beginning to dry up. I bathed her in warm water for 30 mins and then blow dryed most of her, as she was getting cold.

JJthink gave you very good advice. Gently clean with saline water is the common practice, Replace the prolapse. Use Prep H if you have any on hand. Honey will do in a pinch, but try to get some Prep H as soon as possible. Keep her in a dark and quiet location. You may have to replace the prolapse a couple of times a day for 2 or 3 days.

P8090576.jpg

P8090575.jpg

P8090573.jpg

the first two are just now, after she's been cleaned up and had her warm bath. the last is how we found her.

Back
Top Bottom