Prolapsed Vent? How do I treat?? *** GRAPHIC PIC ***

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
Yesterday I had a chick born with what I believe is a prolapsed vent:

50766_cimg3723.jpg

I put antibiotic ointment on it until I was able to get to the store to get Preparation H without painkiller. I have applied that twice now. I tried pushing it back in with the Q-tip I was applying the ointment with, but it's so big and I was afraid I would hurt the chick even more.

Do I just wait and see how it does? And keep applying the Prep H every few hours? It seems to be vigorous and healthy except for the vent. I have put it in the brooder with the other chicks and will isolate it if it gets pecked.

I had one with vent issues, definitely not this bad but I had to use Prep H as well. However, I found a warm soak in sugar water was even more effective. I put a lot of sugar in the water to make sure the concentration was high. I also used a spoon to kind of splash the sugar water around to make sure it got on the vent area. Afterwards I wrapped her in a microwaved towel till she dried. I noticed a huge improvement in just one day. I have also heard honey works but didn't need to try it. The sugar didn't dry out the vent like the Prep H did, maybe give it a try?

Hoping your chick gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom