Prolapsed Vent: How much space does separated chick need

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FosterCityChick, Jan 11, 2013.

1. FosterCityChick

FosterCityChick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2013
    I have read many posts on the prolapsed vent issue. This site has been so helpful.
    My chicken laid her first egg and prolapsed with another egg stuck inside. It is a severe prolapse. Once we were able to catch her, we gave her a warm bath. We thought we wouldn't get the egg out but then realized, she may die so lets do what we have to to get the egg out. My husband got the egg out. BTW, to catch her we used a towel. ONce her head was covered up, she was calm.
    We then trimmed the feathers as best we could but there is a lot of poop still in the area.
    I then put her in a large tupperware box with an open front (made for storage of boots etc). I put straw in the bottom and a blanket on top, so she's have something soft on her bottom, although she has been standing for most of the time.
    I covered the front opening with screen and held down with bungie cords.

She is inside the house so she won't be cold. I've fed her melon and some sunflower seeds and water and kale.

So, it's been 24 hours. I"m planning to bath her and put hemmoroid cream on it.
    My questions are:

Does she need more space to get move around? The box is about 2.5 feet long and she has a few inches of head room. She can move around but not really stretch.
    Should I let her outside? Temps about 40degrees.
    Can I use Band-Aid brand Antiseptic Wash.
    It contains: Benzolkonium chloride 13% (antiseptic) and
    Lidocaine hydrochloride 2% (externam anesthetic) (I read all "caine" ingredients are toxic to hens.)

Any other suggestions.

Please let me know ASAP.
    Thanks so much

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    As long as she can move around and eat and drink the space she has is fine.
    I would also keep her inside. Give her a warm bath and put the cream on her and keep her cozy.
    Sorry i dont know about the other questions.

1 person likes this.
  3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest that you keep her inside in a darkened area, apply Prep H or honey ( honey is great as it does shrink the prolapse and has beneficial properties to her also )

Do not apply anything that may sting her - she will be very sensitive - try warm water with a little amount of salt or just bathe her in warm water and dry her thoroughly before she is exposed to any elements ( be it in a barn or wherever ) - she is better off isolated for the time being as if she is re-introduced to her flock mates, they may attack her vent area.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Suzie

1 person likes this.
  4. Poor girl! Good luck!

5. FosterCityChick

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi Everyone
    Here we are on Day 3 of the recovery.
    We are getting smarter and more confident as the days go by.
    We are now using a sock to put over her head so we can more easily bathe her. This calms her down immediately, and is much easier than using a bit towel.

As for the prolapse...it is about a third of the size it was and the vent looks clean and healthy EXCEPT there is a big hard hemorrhoid type thing hanging off it. I cannot imagine this will go inside of her, or that it will ever soften up. Wondering if it will perhaps drop off?

Appreciate any insights on this.

I'm giving her water with aspirin dissolved in it and she is eating. She seems alert and fine, except when you see her derriere.
    Keeping her separated in the large tupperware bin with a little portable heater closeby.

Send info on the hemorrhoid please!

6. It should flake off. No worries ;)

7. FosterCityChick

Jan 11, 2013
    Day4: i wasnt able to get her antibiotics so im continuing with antibacterial ointment and honey. The honey goes on much nicer when its been heated a bit. Daily bath in tepid salted water.
    The actual vent area looks nice but that hard black chunk is still an ugly mess and it bleeds a bit when we bathe her.
    She seems happy and strong.
    l will have to look at hen anatomy because i do feel an egglike structure on the one side of her derriere, inside.

How hopeful should i be about her survival? If she was ill, shouldnt i be seeing signs of weakness if she is not recovering?
    [​IMG]

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FosterCityChick

Jan 11, 2013
    Thank you!
    I guess we'll have to wait and see if she has an egg in there.

10. FosterCityChick

Jan 11, 2013
    I've gotten myself in a predicament.
    I decided since it was day 6, to let this girl out to the run. I let the other 2 hens into the yard so this recovering girl could have the run to herself.
    She is very strong and even flew up to the 6ft fence between my neighbours and myself.
    The other hens couldn't wait to see her.

I figured that her bottom wasn't bleeding and she looked strong, so perhaps they wouldn't bother her.
    So I let the other 2 hens in to join her and immediately, the aunt pecked at her bottom and went for her head.
    I got them apart (stomping and screaming) and the recovering girl got into the coop.
    Its now dusk.
    What do I do with the other 2 hens who want into their coop?
    I am alone so will not be able to coax the recovering girl out of the coop to go into her recovery box for the night.

Can I give the other 2 something to roost on or what? Will they maybe sleep outside under the coop?
    It is Northern California so the temp is around 35F at night. There is a little heater inside the coop so that may affect the temps a bit.

OMG what have I done? And what do I do now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by