1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prolapsed vent. not normal circumstances. need experience

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cupman, Nov 15, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a young bird, light brahma, from the time she was about two weeks old she would howl and scream to the point I would go running to the garage to check on her. She had a prolapsed vent, she could poop ok, I watched her do it, but she was always a little unhealthy. My other light brahma is noticeably larger but in recent weeks they seem to grow at the same speed. She has feathered a bit since that young age and I can't even see her vent... is it possible it healed or is this a ticking time bomb waiting to happen? I bought the supplies to repair a prolapsed vent as a chick but I decided to let her grow. I don't know whether I should go fishing around to fix the problem or if it healed on its own(if even possible.) If the vent is still prolapsed do I need to put her down before she reaches the age to lay an egg? I just had to put down my blue andalusian... really hate it but I understand it's often necessary.

This is around age 2-3 weeks. The bird is now roughly 10 weeks old, can't even see the vent.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    anyone?

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I'd just keep a close eye on her. The real test will come when she starts laying. If it stays in after she lays, she should be fine. It is something that you will have to keep an eye on. Did her vent always look like the one in the picture, or like the one in the link. The one in your picture, looks very swollen, but not like a true prolapse. The tissue hasn't come out of the vent. Does her vent still look like that today?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=486594

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by