Prolapsed Vent On 2 week old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by judycol87, Mar 16, 2017.

1. judycol87

judycol87 New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    2 weeks ago I went to Meyer Hatchery and purchased a mix of chicks from their bins. Only one of them had pasty butt. After cleaning the pasty butt I noticed she had a prolapsed vent, although at that time I didnt know what a prolapsed vent was. I just knew her butt was hanging out, and I didn't know why. I have kept a close eye on her for a week and a half now. She is eating, drinking, pooping and gaining weight. The other chicks are not pecking at her. Today for the first time I have tried repeatedly to push it back in with a q-tip and vaseline. It will not stay in. Should I just keep trying? Or is it a lost cause?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome - sorry you are having problems [​IMG]. I would keep on trying to push it back in, sometimes it takes a bit of time and persistence.If it won't go back in after a good period of time, re-evaluate and decide what you need to do, wish you luck, please keep us posted,

3. judycol87

judycol87 New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    thank you for your response. What I am most concerned about is future complications. As of now she seems to be doing fine. If I cant get it back in how will it affect her egg laying (or mating if she turns out to be a rooster) further down the road?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If it doesn't go back in, I think her future is bleak. Laying will be difficult and probably harmful to her I think, not to mention flock mates will peck at it. If she is a rooster, truthfully I don't know.
    Hoping @casportpony or @Eggcessive will pick up this thread and give you some advice.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by