Prolapsed vent? Or periontitis

threelittlepigs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Rochester, NY
she is eating and drinking fine. Had "yolk" coming out of vent. Gave her some amoxicillin, all I had. But her skin is very red, and her vent appears prolapsed. Help!!!

Bring her inside where it is warm, and where she won't be pecked by the others. Her prolapse looks a bit dark in places, which can mean that it is getting dried out and could be getting necrotic. Lubricate it, feel inside the vent for any egg shell or membrane to get it out,and try to push the vent back inside. Apply some honey or Preparation H ointment inside and out to reduce swelling. If you get the prolapse pushed back inside, hold it for 10 minutes or so, but it still may come back out. Each day, soak her bottom only in a shallow epsom salts bath. Try to scrub off the crusty material, and repeat honey, and push back inside. Keep her in a darkened cage for 16 out of every 24 hours to stop her laying. She must have been eggbound and an egg broke inside. Do you think the others pecked her vent to cause all of the redness? Vent gleet also would be possible.

Last edited:
Eggcesive, thank you! That is so helpful. I was able to push the prolapse in, but it does come back out. I did not hold it long enough. I'll try again. She is puffed out and head in:( I have her inside now, and warm. No chance for others pecking because she has been separated, as she is a new chook that I adopted:) I don't feel anything inside, no shell or egg. I will do what you said and hope for the best. Should I keep with the amoxicillin?

Yes the amoxicillin may be useful in helping to prevent an infection, unless you think she could have vent gleet which may be a fungal infection. It is common for prolapses to come back out, but just keep pushing it back inside when possible. Hopefully the swelling will go down and it will eventually stay inside.

Yeah!!! Today she laid a soft shelled egg!!! Her prolapse is back in, thanks to the preparation h!!! Thank you so much for all your input!!! Any other suggestions, let me know!!! Woohhooo, and her tail is up and she looks great:)

Back
Top Bottom