Prolapsed vent recovery, something weird protruding.

aea0008

Hatching
Feb 26, 2023
My chicken was seen by a vet 2 days ago for a prolapsed vent. It was HUGE. Like, the size of 2 eggs, pussy, absolutely disturbing. Even the vet was surprised. Because she wouldn’t holdit in, he stapled up her vent and gave her meloxicam. We took her back the next day and he took out the staples, her vent looked much better and he cleaned some yolk out of her vent. But there was no egg. Yesterday , she was oozing and slightly prolapsed again so I soaked her in a warm tub, rinsed any poo I could find, and sprayed everything with vitericyn, squirted fructose water on it and rubbed some raw honey around the opening and tried to push it back in. It seemed to work but today it was back to bleeding and oozing white, and this is sticking out her rear. I have no idea what it is, if I should try to massage it out? Push it back in? It seems to be blocking her ability to poop mostly. It doesn’t rinse off like the poop and stringy blood does. She has a follow up on Wednesday but until then, I’d like to help her if I can. Vet just said to feed her and water. I’ve been doing that and vitamin/mineral add to her water.
1B142546-0C82-4799-83EC-F9817561E9E9.jpeg

So sorry you are dealing with this! I’m unsure since I’m not super experienced with this, and know that I’m not even close to a professional and I’m not a vet but I wonder if that’s infected tissue or something. Here I’ll tag some folks who will know more than I- @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Welcome To BYC

It looks like dry crusted tissue.
I'd keep the tissue moist with ointment, honey or oil.

Is she able to poop at all?

You mention the vet removed yolk, but no shell. Was it actually yolk or was it like a yellow pasty material?
Did he put her on antibiotics?

I'd get Calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate daily - calcium is need for retention. If she were mine and she had loose yolk in the cloaca with no shell, then I'd get her on an antibiotic as well.

That tissue is not going to stay in until the crusty necrotic material falls off - that may take a while. Mineral oil or coconut oil applied around the edges may help break it down a little faster, but you're going to have to sort of let it come off on its own like a scab.

Looks like a lash egg, an infection. Shell die if it's not out soon. have you tried easing it out?
I’ve massaged it a couple times, but I was afraid to try to work it out in case it was something that was supposed to go INSIDE haha! But if poo is squeezing out around it, it’s something that needs to come out maybe?

Welcome To BYC

It looks like dry crusted tissue.
I'd keep the tissue moist with ointment, honey or oil.

Is she able to poop at all?

You mention the vet removed yolk, but no shell. Was it actually yolk or was it like a yellow pasty material?
Did he put her on antibiotics?

I'd get Calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate daily - calcium is need for retention. If she were mine and she had loose yolk in the cloaca with no shell, then I'd get her on an antibiotic as well.

That tissue is not going to stay in until the crusty necrotic material falls off - that may take a while. Mineral oil or coconut oil applied around the edges may help break it down a little faster, but you're going to have to sort of let it come off on its own like a scab.
I’ve been applying sugar water and honey every day. The vet had like a little bit of yolk after cleaning her up. I didn’t see much. He said there was no egg. So, I don’t know. It was bright yellow and runny. I’ve put sugar water, honey, and coconut oil on it daily basically all over her rear and I’ve massaged it a couple times but I’m afraid to force anything out in case it’s something that’s supposed to stay in. I’m also not sure how to ease stuff out without potentially breaking any stuck eggs or what not. The vet didn’t give any antibiotics, just meloxicam for swelling. I’ve been spraying her rear with vetericyn to prevent infection. I’ve got a vitamin and mineral packet in her water. She’s not eating much but would some egg shells help? At this point she has stopped pooping so that’s concerning. Will an epsom salt soak help? I did get some of that yesterday.

Stopping pooping is not a good sign.

I'd make sure to keep all that is protruding moist with ointment or oil. You do not want to pull anything out. The prolapsed tissue will need to eventually go back in.

IF she's not lethargic, then you can give her a soak, but you'll have to use your judgment on whether or not she can tolerate it. Some hens decline rapidly when put in a bath.

Back
Top Bottom