Prolapsed vent...still not better

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by echampagne, Dec 1, 2013.

1. echampagne

echampagne New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    Hello I'm a new member to BYC but have been reading the threads. I just can't figure out what to do with 'Freckles'.
    She is a 7 month old Spangled Russian Orloff Bantam who prolapsed last Monday. I took her to the vet they and they put a suture in. Since then she has had really smelly diarrhea which was green and is now white and foamy. There has been blood in her stool on an occasion or two. She is eating and drinking well but now when she strains to poo she screams. She is puffed up and shaking her head a lot too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give her some applesauce to eat, and start her on probiotics. These can come from capsules from the store or you can find them as powder in the feed store. Probios Dispersable Powder is a good online brand. Is she being kept in the dark to prevent her from laying eggs? 16 hours a day of darkness would help her to not lay. Also Lupon injections from the vet can prevent laying.

3. echampagne

echampagne New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    She may have laid one egg two weeks ago but nothing since. Her comb is really red is that an indicator that she could be ready to lay?
    I will try applesauce.

4. echampagne

echampagne New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    [​IMG]
    What is she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by