1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

prolapsed vent ***update***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sixxchixx, May 20, 2011.

1. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Ok so Ive done my homework and searched all about prolapse on BYC I still have a few Qs.

She is about 10 months old, frequent egg layer, Barred Rock. I have separated her from the rest of the chickens, warm compressed the area and lubed up and stuck my pinkie finger in her to feel for an egg. I didnt feel anything inside her but I continued to warm compress and massage her belly. I also smeared her with honey. every time I try to stick the red part back in her it just comes right back out. its about 1" diameter and 1" sticking out.

I also read that she should be in complete darkness?? Is a cat carrier too small though? its all I have. is there anything else I can do for her, should I give her chick starter or the same old "lay crumbles" she always eats? She did eat a few grapes from me but with none of the normal gusto she usually shows when its treat time.

I have never "culled" anything and I dont intend on learning how...

please help
    -Tawny

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. sixxchixx

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    well I finally got "it" back in and had her eat a few more grapes. im crossing my fingers [​IMG]

edited for spelling

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a similar situation with a bantam poulet that was egg bound. After finally laying the vent opening went baci in by itself. Good luck!

4. sixxchixx

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Anyone know how common this is in chicken population... And how many live through it? I know once they've had it once it will probably happen again but is there anything i can do to prevent it in my other hens? I feed them a "lay crumble" and their egg shells are really sturdy and harder than grocery store eggs. Should I switch to flock raiser and just have oystershell on the side instead? Should I expect this from my other hens someday?

BTW Nefertitti is still prolapsed and staying in the garage. I'm going to give her a bath this afternoon after work and clip her butt feathers. Can I clip them really short? or is there a vein in them like the wing feathers? I'm also going to quit the honey and try prepH. The honey is just too sticky and messy.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Not trying to discourage you & I hope your girl does fine. I had one of my hens who was egg bound . I took her to the vet he lubed the egg & she passed it or consumed it. I never found the egg. Anyway she eventually laid another egg . I saw her lay it. But that was it. She eventually got egg bound again. I took her back to the vet & he told me she had a broken egg inside her & suggested to put her down. She was loosing weight & running a fever. I probably could of saved some money by putting her down myself but I let him put her to sleep. The vet said not all the time but alot of times they will continue to become egg bound & she will lead a miserable life. Never thought I'd miss a chicken but I do.

6. sixxchixx

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    I'm really hoping shell pull through it. Even if it happens again. She doesnt seem like shes in a lot of pain. I just don't want her to die.

Quote:

7. sixxchixx

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    ok so this is night two and shes still with us. shes in the garage and seems like shes getting pretty sick of being alone. her prolapse has shrunk but still protrudes about 1cm. she hasnt laid an egg, so im still worried she may now be egg bound but shes eating a few grapes and some romaine lettuce. her eyes are still bright and inquisitive. I havnt seen her drink but the water is in there and I may just be missing it. I gave her a warm soak and blowdried her (she really seemed to love it!) although i never, ever, thought Id be that close to the business end of a chicken before, Oh how we love our chickens. Ill soak her again tomorrow. so far so good. well see how she does through the night. It seems to me the preparation H is working.

8. sixxchixx

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    PS that is Nefertiti (my sick girl) in my avatar... see what a sweetie she is, I can't let her die.

9. sixxchixx

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    well i soaked her again this morning and blew her dry. put some neosporen on her because it looks like its scabbing over. Im thinking that once the scab comes off shell be able to suck it back in. I put her in a separated part of the run today just to give her a little dirt time. shes still not 100% but i caught her drinking water (thank you God). still a little lethargic and slow moving but hopefully were on the mend.

[​IMG]:fl:fl:fl:fl

10. sixxchixx

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    shes still hanging in there. I let her sleep on the roost with the other girls last night. I just felt so bad that she was alone in the garage and she seemed so happy to walk around and scratch like a normal chicken. she also seemed pretty alert yesterday afternoon. Im thinking that once the scab falls off shes going to be just fine. she still out side in the run separated but at least on the dirt and visible to the others.
    Oh yeah, she laid a soft shell egg yesterday afternoon while I happened to be standing next to her little area. Im thinking this is good news because it means shes not eggbound right? well Im off to work, Im worried about spending 8 hours away, but what can i do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by