Prolapsed vent with egg hanging in it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colby318, Nov 4, 2008.

1. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    DH wakes me with news of a hen with a bloody rear. One of the year old EEs had her oviduct hanging inside out with an egg showing inside. We quickly put her down. I have never seen anything so horrid in my life. Anybody else have this problem, too? Sorry this was so graphic and no the camera was not the first thing I thought about...

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I've never seen anything like that. Sorry it happened to your girl.

3. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    I've heard of that happening, but hasn't happened to me yet and i dont know too much on the subject, but here's a bump. u can search prolapse in the forum, that may help

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Robin416 once had a Silkie hen prolapsed like that; she opened up the prolapse with a disinfected razor blade , removed the egg, replaced the prolapse and the hen recovered quickly. I cant remember many details, but she felt she had no choice.

6. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I had this happen but the oviduct and egg was laying in the nest box, so I have no idea who it came from. I'm just assuming I now have a non-egg laying hen in the mix.

7. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Thanks for the replies. The other chickens must have been picking at it. It was so far out it was almost touching the ground. If it had looked clean I would of tried to save her but this was a bloody mess with streaks of feces. Big Bum Barbie was a pretty one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by