Prolapsed vent with egg sticking out (red membranes)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsfarmchick1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I just found one of my young hens (7 months) with a red ball hanging out of her vent. I did a little research on other threads and I put her in water to look closer. I could not find an opening to push the egg out through so I pushed it all back in to feel around and I don't know anything about how to get the egg out. One thread said to cut the membrane and get it out that way...another thread said to break the egg and let her push it out, but wouldn't that cause an infection?
    Please help me!

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Heck no, you don't want to cut that membrane! You pushed it back in and that's a good thing. Okay, so are you doing the warm soak for her? While you give her a long warm, comfortable bath, let her relax. Mix up a cup or so of water with about 1/2 crushed plain aspirin, 1/2 crushed Tums or Calcium supplement and a splash of liquid gatorade or gatorade powder. Using a dropper, drop the mixture on top of her beak and let her sip. Give her as much as you can get down her without forcing. If you don't have gatorade, use some cherry jello and maybe a little sugar. You want it to taste good to her.

The aspirin will reduce the swelling, the calcium will strengthen her for the laying. Electrolytes and sugar keep hydrated and give energy. After she's been in the bath at least a half hour, take a half cup of olive oil, coat your finger and gently work your way in the vent. You want to keep lubing your finger and getting as much lubrication in the vent as possible (and not just the opening, slick her up well inside). This will help the egg slide through the next time she tries to pass it.

So the aim isn't necessarily for you to pull the egg out. It will probably just hurt her. I did try moving one along myself and although I got it to budge it hurt her like he$$.

By the way, you know they poop and lay eggs out of the same shute I'm sure. The reproductive tract is more or less straight in (along the spine) whereas the digestive tract comes up from the abdomen. You don't want to lube in that direction.

The next thing to do is towel dry her and then blow dry her. You can put her in a crate next to a small space heater if there's any chance of a chill. Leave her in the crate for awhile and see if she'll lay. Leave some water and fruit or whatever she likes to eat. If she doesn't lay and she doesn't seem to be under any stress you can put her back with the others and just keep track of what's going on. She should be able to do it next time on her own. At least that is the hope.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I guess, under the circumstances though with the prolapsing, you should probably keep her inside over night in the crate and keep your fingers crossed that she lays the egg. The problem is, sometimes the other hens will go after the prolapse and peck and damage it. So in her situation, better off inside.

4. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    Thanks for the advice. But before I saw a reply to my question, I went back out to where I had isolated her and she was trying to push it out and I could see the vent hole so I tried to align the egg with it. The egg started to leak so I went ahead and pushed out as much of the egg product as I could. I put her in a quiet area in the garage in a crate, put some honey on her bum, put some diluted cider vinegar water and yogurt and left her alone....
    I hope she can recover, but I'm worried about the egg shell that was left inside....I guess she will expel it? I hope she doesn't get an infection.
    Thanks again for your help.

5. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I think you might want to keep her inside where you can keep an I on her. I've heard that chickens can die if they strain too hard. I'd also recommend that you induce a molt to get her to stop laying for a while so she can heal, otherwise the prolapse will get worse each time she attempts to lay and it can eventually be fatal. I did have hen several years ago with the same problem, and she did get better. It's been several years, so I don't remember all the details, but I did have to help her pass an egg. I remember repeatedly pushing the prolapse back in, and I also remember lubing her up good with Preparation H, 2 or 3 times a day, until I was satisfied she was better. I kept her in a dimmly lit area and reduced her feed, protein etc, so she would stop laying.
    My hen had eggs that were more round than oblong, They were pretty large in diameter, and they were basically too large for her to lay without prolapsing. Forcing her into the molt, not only gave her time to heal, but also time for her body to catch up with the size of those eggs.

6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I know it doesn't sound too enticing, but I think you should be able to push your finger in to her vent to feel any egg fragments, and possibly even pull them out.

7. cblaese

cblaese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    I am having this same problem buti did get egg out and now she has this white stuff which feels like a membrane stickin out... I soaked her and some I could pull off but it felt like insides I pulled off... she is in house in tsc bin w 100wt light due to draft... I have no clue what to do .. she is poopin spagetti poops so something must be open back there? I have had her out of coop 4 days w this and I so nervous I don't wanna put her w healthy chicks if this. Is what infection looks like?? Any advise plz

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture?

-Kathy

9. cblaese

cblaese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    i new at posting so I maybe posting this twice? This before I got egg out its completely around egg.. that was a lot of work but egg out now this mess back there I will post in a bit thanks [​IMG]

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would keep her inside aways from other birds and make sure I got all of the egg out. Giving her a human calcium pill or some liquid calcium will help if she has more eggs to lay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by