Prolapsed vent with egg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kinnafinn35, Sep 13, 2011.

1. kinnafinn35

kinnafinn35 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    My chicken has a prolapsed vent with an egg stuck inside. I've pushed the egg back in several times but it just keeps coming out. How do I get the egg out? We've put honey on her and put her in a warm water bath.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Could you crush the egg and pull it out? Maybe put some baby oil on it, if you don't want to break it?

3. kinnafinn35

May 2, 2011
    We didn't want to break it because we figured that would cause her more problem. We tried many times but we made no progress putting and holding it back in in hopes it would find the right way out. I also tried coaxing it to get it to the right spot. However, she just kept getting more red and inflamed around her vent and cloaca despite the honey and preparation H, which I imagine would be very, very uncomfortable. We decided it was a losing battle and was not worth putting her through more pain and trauma. We wound up butchering her [​IMG]. Bad day.. We just didn't know what else we could do...

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    How old was the hen?

5. kinnafinn35

May 2, 2011
    She was about 6 months old. As far as we know, that was her first egg. After we butchered her, I did sort of an autopsy to see how we could have gotten it out so should this, god forbid, ever happen again, maybe we'd have a better idea how to help the hen. However, I couldn't figure out a single way to get that egg out of the pouch it was in. We aren't positive of course, but we are thinking maybe she had some sort of defect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by