Prolapsed vent with picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by natemoore1986, Mar 27, 2015.

1. natemoore1986

natemoore1986 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    My one remaining Rhode Island Red was acting funny today. I saw what looked like blood on her swollen backend. Put her in a 110 F bath to clean her. Maggots started floating up in the water. Definitely a prolapsed vent. I applied Preparation-H to the vent and tried to push it back in. It wouldn't stay; kept popping back out.

Here's a picture. I've got her in a crate covered with a towel in my workshop. She only lays an egg every two or three days that have very fragile shells. She's also almost three years old.

Should I cull her or do you think she will get better? Not a pet.

[​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    As much as I hate to say this, if she is not a pet you might want to put her down :( If there are maggots, the tissue is probably beyond repair. It takes some diligence to correct with no guarantees it won't happen again. [​IMG]

3. natemoore1986

Aug 3, 2012
    I checked her again this afternoon after sharpening my machete and decided to give her a one day reprieve. The swelling had actually gone down a little, so I gave her another hot bath, cleaned her up, and reapplied Preparation-H. While I was holding her in the warm water, she was so relaxed that she laid her head on my arm and took a little nap. She also noticed the water and began blinking, looking closer, blinking, looking closer until her face hit the water. She was like, whoa! It was cute, so it makes you not to want to lop her head off....but, if it's got to be done I'll do it. Hope she pulls through.

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Oh! If you can save her that is wonderful! It may happen again whenever she goes in and out of lay, you'll always have to keep an eye on her. If you are willing, that is great! [​IMG]

5. natemoore1986

Aug 3, 2012
    I had to put her down yesterday. She was starting to smell rotten. I wrapped her up tightly in a towel, put a black sock over her head, and laid her on the ground with a 2x4 under her neck. When she was very calm and still, I lopped off her head with a very sharp, heavy machete. Very quick and clean. I didn't like doing it though, even if she wasn't a pet, but she's no longer suffering.

6. 1tifsunkip1

1tifsunkip1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    Maryland
    I also have a silkie with the same problem. I push it in and it pops right back out. She is isolated and drinking and laid an egg today that cracked and she ate it. The others were bothering her so last night she was and will remain in solitary. If I can't get it to stay in will it ever go in on its own? Should I be pushing it in farther or just inside? What can a vet do and any guess at price?

7. kgerard

kgerard New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    I also have this problem. Is it treatable? I'm worried she'll die. She strains really hard when pooping.

8. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG] I knew she may not be savable as the tissue was probably exposed for too long. It's good that you tried, it is possible to save them if it is caught soon after it happens and before other birds get at it. Maybe next time....hope there isn't a next time.

9. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Keep the tissue moist and keep putting it back in. Feed soft foods like wet mash, scrambled or boiled egg. Keep her somewhere dimly lit to discourage egg laying. keep her well hydrated.

10. 1tifsunkip1

1tifsunkip1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    Maryland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by