1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prolapsed vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azhen, Apr 8, 2017.

1. azhen

azhen New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    Went to collect the eggs today and our golden sex link had just laid a bloody egg and had blood running down her. I think she was bleeding before laying the egg as I found blood drops on the ramp leading up to the laying box.
    She wasn't prolapsed at that point but she was pushing it out and a lot came out and I was able to startle her and it all went back in. So I'm not sure if she's having some sort of issue laying? Could they bleed before laying an egg? What would cause issues laying? This breed does lay large eggs and we have 2 others (they're 2 yrs old) and have never had issues besides the occasional bloody egg. They have had some soft eggshell since it warmed up, we keep finding evidence of eaten eggs in the box.
    We soaked her in warm water and mild soap, and put her in a large dog crate with bedding, food and water in a dark room. What should we do from here? I read liquid calcium? Electrolytes? Thanks. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. azhen

azhen New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. azhen

azhen New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    Thank you! I think she is egg bound. We've started her on calcium and hope she doesnt lay until she's healed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by