We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Prolapsed vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kris5902, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    today one of my rescue chickens developed a prolapsed vent I’m trying to get it back in and it’s not staying she is almost 2 years old 41114C42-F4D2-4FC3-8B77-1D9A74508176.jpeg

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hi Kris, sorry about your hen. It looks like it might have been pecked a little as well. The prolapsed tissue may not go back in right away, but keep it moist at all times with honey, sugar syrup (half sugar-half water in a paste,) coconut oil, mineral oil, vaseline, hemorrhoid cream or hydrocortisone cream. The honey, sugar, or hemorrhoid cream can reduce swelling. The type of lubricant is not too important, only that it be kept moist until it stays in. You can attaempt to stop her from laying eggs by keeping her in darkness for 16 hours a day, then let her out in light for 8 hours to eat and drink. At least a once a day soak in soapy water or Epsom salts to keep her clean would be good.

3. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    I got it cleaned up a little more and finally got it back in. I held it in for about 1/2 hr to an hour. I gave her some calcium tablets. Sorry for the berevity of the initial post... I was typing one handed while holding the chicken. She’s a hy-line production red layer, they lay pretty big eggs for such small chickens. I had lubricated it with plain antibiotic ointment with a petroleum (Vaseline like) base I’ve got her crated in the barn by herself. How dark does dark need to be to prevent laying?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    It popped out again so I repeated putting it back and holding it in for another hour, I think she was stressed out by being separated from her friends, so I put her into a smaller cat crate and into her coop with her buddy and Her Rooster. She won’t be able to roost with them, but seemed to calm down being near them

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It may take a couple of days for the swelling to go down in order for the prolapse to stay in. Try to keep any exposed tissue moist.
    The biggest worry would be if she lays another egg, that can potentially push the prolapse out further.
    You asked how dark it needs to be to prevent laying - my understanding is total darkness

Kris5902 likes this.
  6. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    It was out again at my last check for the night, but looking a little less swollen. I moistened it well for the night and will try to get it back in first thing in the morning. I’m trying to figure out how I can keep her in full darkness without smothering or baking her. I don’t have any windowless places to keep her, or large enough boxes. I’m wondering if covering the dog crate in the barn would suffice... but it will be hard to maintain adequate ventilation and keep her completely dark. She was able to poop despite the prolapse, and the poop looked normal. Someone should really design a prolapse retainer for chickens!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people do use a sling to hold the prolapse in, but it has never sounded like something I would try. They do use something like that in lambs for prolapse. I do think that with the summer heat, keeping her in the dark would be hard to do without overheating her. It can take 3 or more days to temporarily stop the laying. Not everyone does that, but it was a suggestion to stop her from laying to rest the vent. Vets sometimes put in 2 sutures a 10 and 2 o’clock position to hold in the prolapse while allowing the hen to pass droppings. Here is an article with a lot of info about prolapse:
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Here is a link to read about the sling:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/

Kris5902 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    Thank you! I was trying to fashion a sling/retainer thing, but had no luck getting it to stay without inhibiting her movement. She doesn’t seem to notice it and wants to “chicken” like normal. It’s not oppressively hot here, so I’m trying to keep her dark. I’ve been holding it in for her throughout the day today. As expected she laid again and it came out this morning. After I hold it in for an hour or so she can keep it in herself until she does something overly active or poops. I really wish she didn’t lay daily and so large.

We use retainers sewn into our ewes wool when needed. But after two consecutive years with prolapse issues a ewe goes on the cull list. I’m not certain enough to suture her myself yet. I’ll see how it goes. I will read and see if I can make something work. The retainers for ewes are standard and easy to use, the single vent in chickens complicates it though. And they are so tiny and fragile. But also stubborn and with a strong will to live.

9. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    Sorry about your hen, Kris! I hope that you are able to help her!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    Looks like I was wrapping in the wrong direction... I will give the sling a try again tomorrow and update if it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: