Prolapsed vent?

New chiken momma

Chirping
Jul 22, 2020
Been soaking and cleaning and soaking more. Need to know if this is a prolapsed vent. And exactly how to treat

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_184454.jpg
    IMG_20210131_184454.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 13
It is hard to tell much from the picture. A prolapsed vent occurs from straining to poop, lay an egg, and sometimes with a stuck egg. Any red internal tissue that is sticking out should be kept moist with honey, ointment, or oil. Try to push it back inside and hold it for a few minutes if there does not seem to be an egg stuck inside. It may come back out for a few days if she poops. Make sure that she is pooping by tomorrow. If the prolapse does not stay in or you are unable to push it in successfully, a daily warm soak to her vent will soothe her and clean her up. If an egg is supected to be causing the prolapse, a calcium tablet or Tums should be given orally to increase muscle contraction to help pass the egg. A warm soak would also be helpful. Here is a good article about prolapsed vents or cloaca:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

It is hard to tell much from the picture. A prolapsed vent occurs from straining to poop, lay an egg, and sometimes with a stuck egg. Any red internal tissue that is sticking out should be kept moist with honey, ointment, or oil. Try to push it back inside and hold it for a few minutes if there does not seem to be an egg stuck inside. It may come back out for a few days if she poops. Make sure that she is pooping by tomorrow. If the prolapse does not stay in or you are unable to push it in successfully, a daily warm soak to her vent will soothe her and clean her up. If an egg is supected to be causing the prolapse, a calcium tablet or Tums should be given orally to increase muscle contraction to help pass the egg. A warm soak would also be helpful. Here is a good article about prolapsed vents or cloaca:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
How do i give her a tums if there is an egg and how much

A Tums or calcium tablet can be given orally. You can cut it in two or crush it and give it in some egg or cheese. Can you see an egg or feel it? Try to get her drinking water. If ahe is not too weak try a warm bath to massage her belly. An alternative is to place her in a warm humid room on a warm moist towel on a heating pad set to low.

A Tums or calcium tablet can be given orally. You can cut it in two or crush it and give it in some egg or cheese. Can you see an egg or feel it? Try to get her drinking water. If ahe is not too weak try a warm bath to massage her belly. An alternative is to place her in a warm humid room on a warm moist towel on a heating pad set to low.
She is eating and drinking I have had her in a warm bath to clean her she is in my bathroom (the warmest room I have) she is trying to peck at the ground. She is straining like she is trying to poop

Back
Top Bottom