Prolapsed vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whimsy, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    I have had a soft shell layer every since my hens started laying this August. I wasn't to sure which one but suspected the Orpington. This week I have found her in the nest box, but never an egg after. Well today she was standing off to herself and fluffed up. I went and picked her up and checked her out. A prolapsed vent.

I have read her to see what to do, but am I better to put her down?? It seems that she has a genetic problem. I have her separated from the others and am going to try to doctor her. I know I may seem heartless, I not so if you are gonna rag me please don't.

2. sumatra

sumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    NW PA
    She sounds low on calcium. I had a quail prolapse once. I poked all the innards back in and gave her oyster shells, which she didnt want. So I ground up a tums into some water and fed it to her in a syringe. Now I just make sure they always have oyster shell.

3. tryxichicks

tryxichicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    How much is sticking out? 1/2 in? 2 in? if its not to much you want to put on gloves, get some lube (water based) and carefully push it back in, you'l kinda of have to hold it in because she will push back, be gentle, and patient. Then turn of the lights and let her chill out for a bit. You want to have her in a crate in a bathroom, you need to turn on the water as hot as possible in your shower or bath and let it run until the room is good and steamy, it will help her pass the egg smoothly, don't put her in the water (this can work as well but much more stressful for the bird.) I've tried both methods and had wonderful luck with the steamy room. You must act quickly.
    Give her a chance though, My baby buff only laid soft shells to begin with to, but she's laid fine since.
    But you are correct in thinking it could be on going. But she could pull through. If it doesn't work with in one day, I'd put her down. Its very uncomfortable, and your judgement is the best there is for your ladies!
    Best of luck, and this treatment really can work wonders! Please give it a try.

4. tryxichicks

tryxichicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Oh and, do you offer them oyster shell?? It would be a good thing to offer her in the crate, as well as anything with water content, tomatoes are a good one.

5. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Yes I do offer oyster shells and feed yogurt or cottage cheese at last once a week. She passed away last night so I guess God answered my question for me. I really think she had something wrong from the get go. She was the only one who had any problems in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by