prolapsed vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sevenchickens, Mar 15, 2011.

1. sevenchickens

sevenchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Michigan
    one of my hens has a prolapsed vent! it's gross, infected and I can't tell if she is egg bound for sure, she doesn't seem to be. She's a fighter so it hasn't been easy to keep her clean. She's seems to be acting fine, but I want to clear up her infection. Any help?

2. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
  3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    you must separate her from the others, asap, they will peck at the tissue and kill her. then wash it with warm water with a little saline(salt) and put sugar or honey or prep. H on the tissue, will help with the swelling, give it a few minutes and with a gloved finger try to gently push it back in, may take several attemps. good luck, keep her from laying for a bit by keeping her in a darken area

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    you must separate her from the others, asap, they will peck at the tissue and kill her. then wash it with warm water with a little saline(salt) and put sugar or honey or prep. H on the tissue, will help with the swelling, give it a few minutes and with a gloved finger try to gently push it back in, may take several attemps. good luck, keep her from laying for a bit by keeping her in a darken area

5. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:X2 Does it smell badly? I had a hen that got a prolapse and I didn't see it for a couple of days. When I found her it stunk horribly and the tissue was dark purple and dried looking. I treated her as stated above for 3 days and no improvement, so I culled her. It was one of my favorite hens. I wonder if you could try antibiotics for the infection?

You might give her vitamins and treats like hard boiled eggs.

Good luck.

6. sevenchickens

sevenchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you for suggestions. I'll separate her and tend to her "ouchies" and hopefully have her back to health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by