Prolapsed Vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 13, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    One of my hens, a splash Orpington, now has a prolapsed vent. It's nasty and I suspect it's coming from her intestines rather than the ovaduct (that the term, yes? I'm tired tonight) Anyway, I wanted to know if there is anything that can be done or if I need to put her into freezer camp. It's a shame; she was a good layer.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I would treat it as the same, warm bath, lube it up, cross your fingers, and hope....Good luck

3. kreolechick

kreolechick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    East Mountains
    I had the same problem 2 days ago with one of my hens. I noticed her vent was prolapsed when I let them out that morning, she had blood and poo hanging out, not pretty at all. I found a broken egg in the coop, I was sure she wasn't going to make it. I removed her before the others noticed. I placed her in a small dog kennel on my back porch, after I cleaned her. I didn't do the warm bath, only a warm towel to clean her up. I sprayed hydrogen peroxide on her and pushed it back in the best I could. I was sure I would lose her, but to my surprise it worked! Her vent looked normal after a couple of hours and she laid an egg in the kennel. I placed her back with the rest of the flock at the end of the day. This was my first time dealing with this, and I did the best I could for her and it work....Thank God!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by