prolapsed vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ravenseye57, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ravenseye57

ravenseye57 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I just got home from a meeting and when I checked on my hens found that one of my silver laced wyandottes had a prolapsed vent. I'm going to try cleaning her up and pushing it back in. I've read to put on honey and prep H and keep her in the dark on wheat and water for a while so she doesn't lay. Any other suggestions? Have other people done this and had it work, or am I wasting effort on a hen that should be culled? She'll be two this spring and she was a bit of a problem all last summer because she laid most of her eggs in the grass instead of in the nests.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes they respond to treatment, sometimes not. And sometimes they return to normal laying and prolapse again later. Anyone's guess, sorry. Good luck.

3. ravenseye57

May 18, 2010
    Thanks. She laid an egg today and reprolapsed. We'll see.

4. ravenseye57

May 18, 2010
    Looks like she's going to have to be culled. I've pushed the prolapse back in 3 or 4 times, but it won't stay. Too bad. This is my first time culling a hen, although we've had roosters and cornishes for meat the past two summers.

5. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] So sorry. We had to cull a hen for prolapse, I'm sorry for you and your hen.

6. ravenseye57

May 18, 2010
    Thanks for the support. At least she's not one of my favorites. She's always been a bit standoffish, although she is a pretty little girl.

7. ravenseye57

May 18, 2010
    RIP Frost. I had decided to cull her, but she tried to lay another egg and died before I could do it. :(

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So sorry to hear about your girl

Suzie

9. ravenseye57

May 18, 2010
    Thanks. I felt really bad that she had this happen to her before we got a chance to put her out of her pain. She seemed OK, eating and acting pretty normal and she'd laid one egg early on without trouble. When she stayed in the back corner on the morning we planned to cull her, I knew something had gone downhill. By the time we got ready to do the deed, she was already gone. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by