Prolapsed Vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reacottingham, Nov 24, 2013.

1. reacottingham

reacottingham Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Hi, I have 28 week old pullet that just laid her first egg about 10 minutes ago, it was very large for a first egg, and had a couple of bloody spots on it. I checked her bottom her vent is a bit swollen and large, but nothing like the pics of vent prolapse online. She seems happy, free ranging, and has her tail up. My question is; is this normal for first eggs, if not what should I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    First eggs are usually small and gradually increase in size over a month or two. Blood on the first eggs is normal, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would just keep an eye on her. Many hatchery or high production hens lay huge eggs, and unfortunately up to 10% can have egg laying problems like egg binding, prolapse, and internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis issues. I would probably do some reading about those conditions in case they ever come up. Double yolk eggs are common, and although we like to eat them, they are hard on hens because of the size.

3. reacottingham

reacottingham Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Alabama
    She still seemed fine when I closed the coop door tonight. I think she's going to be ok. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by