1. wonachickencooptoday

wonachickencooptoday Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Found one of my new layers with prolapse this morning, large protrusion- after cleaning was able to get the egg out. But now can't keep the intestines inside of her. Have done epsom salt bath, Prep H, oral Calcium and aspirin and soon getting ready to use the chicken diaper method. Any thoughts??

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like you've done everything you can. Keep it moist and if you haven't try pushing it back in. Hopefully she will be better in the morning. When my hen had this she struggled with it for weeks so we had to put her down. She was sick though.

3. wonachickencooptoday

Dec 22, 2010
    Thank you for your advice, just wrapped her rear up in bandages and prep H. Will leave it overnight and see how it is in the morning. The hen is so sweet and patient, almost knows I am trying to help it.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You need to do everythiny you can do to cause her body to cease producing eggs, also. Reducing the amount of time she spends in daylight (to only a couple of hours a day) and feeding her a low protein diet will help her body shut down the egg machine.

Her cloaca needs to heal completely as soon as possible, continuing to lay eggs will not allow to happen. Each time she lays an egg before she is completely healed only increases the chances of a tragedy.

5. wonachickencooptoday

Dec 22, 2010
    Thank you Enola,
    I have her in a small cat carrier, in a dark room on scratch feed. Is there a chance it will heal or is this impending disaster??

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There is a chance that it will heal. One of my hens once prolapsed, and she's perfectly normal now and has never had any other problems. Every day (several times a day), I put honey and Witch Hazel on the prolapse. I also gave her 90-95 degree warm water baths (just her lower half) twice a day. Twice a day or so, I'd push the prolapse back in. In about four days, she recovered. The warm water baths seemed to help the most-- it was during one of them that the prolapse finally receded permanently into the body.

Good luck with your hen!

7. wonachickencooptoday

Dec 22, 2010
    Just took the pressure diaper off my hen- it was on overnight. Took a peak and her intestines were back in her body- now if they just stay that way!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by