Prolapsed vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debs55, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

While feeding chickens this morning I noticed one of my black australorps looke swollen around her vent and look like there was egg yolk stuck to her
    [​IMG]

She didn't eat the scratch or feed I threw down and she is walking around slow and puffed up. I won't be able to treat her until tonight because she doesn't like to be handled so I'll have to get her off the roost. I'm hoping to bring her in and soak her in some warm water and Epsom salt so that hopefully I can see what's going on better.
    My mom is also bring home some saline and Neosporin.

What else should I do? Obviously if it is prolapsed I should put it back in but how do I do that?
    Also I will separate her

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I can't see her hinney very well in the pic, but to me it looks like she may have vent gleet too. If she is walking funny and what you think may be yolk on the feathers possible may have a broken egg inside. Hard shell or a soft shell will need to be removed while you bathe her. Glove up or saran wrap and check the vent for any egg shell or membrane that could be stuck inside. Be gentle removing it can cut her insides, can get infected if not removed.

If her butt smells bad and you see a white, yellowish discharge she has vent gleet. A chicken version of a yeast infection. I use miconazole on outside and inside the vent for a few days till it clears up. Her butt will get messy and need to be cleaned. Trimming some feathers may need to be done. Some people also feed yogurt to help clear it up. I don't know if it helps or not but I add cranberry juice to the water to help the urinary tract keep infection free. About a cup to a gallon of water, they don't mind the pink water.

Post more pics after you get her cleaned up and what you find during your exam after you catch her tonight. Hope she is going to be ok.

4. Debs55

I've been reading up on it and have found in some places that it is better to put vitamin E oil on it and let it go back in on its own. Does that actually work?

5. Sarevan

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    For me that didn't work at all, the vitamin E oil. I used honey and her prolapse was out 1/4-1/2inch. After cleaned up and smeared with honey I had my finger in the prolapse and used my other hand/ fingers to work it back inside. Held it there for a few minutes then removed my finger. She kept popping out so I made a diaper for the night made of gauze and vet wrap. The wrap went around her chest by crop under wings in a figure 8 pattern to her butt. I had to take it off once in awhile to let her poo. It worked and she hasn't prolapsed yet. Some things work better on some hens just like people. Reason I have Honey, sugar, and preparation H in my chicken box, one doesn't work the other may or a combo of things.

6. Debs55

ok thank you! like I said I wont be able to get a good look at her until tonight so hopefully it hasnt gotten any worse

7. Sarevan

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    How is she today? Were you able to get it back in or was it something else?

8. Debs55

I was so worried about her that I left work early to check on her. I got there about 6:30 and she was dead in the run. My boyfriend had checked on her about 4 and she was still running around so it happened quick. She wasnt pecked of anything so I am not sure what happened

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The outlook for a prolapse is really not very good, from everything I've read. (I have no personal experience with it.) I don't think you should feel badly. And I'm sorry for your loss.

10. Sarevan

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA

I am so sorry that she didn't make it. The stress on the body from a prolapse is sometimes too much for some biirds and a problem happens with the reproductive tract. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by