1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prolapsed Vent??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kathryn79, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Kathryn79

Kathryn79 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    Hi guys, had a chick just hatched but not in good nick, every time she chirped her insides came on the outside. I held her thinking she was dying but pushed the insides back in for about 30 minutes, she became stronger. I have now put a bandaid over her bum and put her back in the incubator. I have NEVER ever dealt with this before. What are the chances of survival, or is it best to cull?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. Kathryn79

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    Yeh it did look like one of those, every time she cheeped it seemed to protrude even more. She was the last one to hatch a good 24 hours after the rest. She seems to be quite strong at the moment though, even with a bandaid on her bum [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    You do usually find the last to hatch are the weaker ones or have some kind of ailment. I would try to keep the area dry and just keep an eye on the chick this can take a few days to actually make the chick poorly and would also follow the advice on the link it's very informative. Good luck.

5. Kathryn79

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    You do usually find the last to hatch are the weaker ones or have some kind of ailment. I would try to keep the area dry and just keep an eye on the chick this can take a few days to actually make the chick poorly and would also follow the advice on the link it's very informative. Good luck.[/quote

Thankyou. I will keep her isolated until she either gets better or declines. Thanks for the info :)

6. Kathryn79

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    Just an update. Removed the bandaid this morning (along with some fluff) and the vent had closed over and all looks very good. The chick is eating, drinking and being a normal chick. I will still wait a few days to put her in with the others but she looks to be very normal. Surgery success [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by