Prolapsed Vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carrierose, Dec 8, 2014.

1. carrierose

carrierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Keno, OR
    I have an 18 month old Silver Laced Wyandotte hen with a prolapsed vent. This may not be her first time. I had issues with this before with one of my SLWyandottes but I am not sure this is the same one or not. I have her secluded in a dog crate with a tarp over it to keep her in the dark to prevent egg laying and to keep the other chickens from pecking. What is hanging out looks ruptured, mucosy and has runny poop on it. Should I clean her up and put this back in or leave it alone? Is there medicine I should be using? The first time this happened wasn't this severe and the vent went back inside on its own within a few minutes. Is this something that is common to the wyandottes or chickens in general? Thanks for the help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Please post a picture. Vent prolapse can be common in some hatchery hens. There can be many reasons for it, but many times they can also be egg bound. Until backyard flocks gained in popularity, most prolapsed chickens were culled for dinner. The sooner the prolapsed tissue gets pushed back inside, the less the drying out and chance of the tissue dying is. Lubricate the vent (KY is good) and try to push it back inside, then hold it there for a good 10 minutes (rubber glove suggested, and just lay her on your lap and sit and watch some TV.) Then apply some honey or Preparation H ointment inside and outside the vent to help reduce swelling. Keep trying to push it back inside, and although it will hurt, you may lose her if you don't get it done. Make sure that she can poop, and keep dropping cleaned off. You may need to bring her inside for a few days, and give her a good shallow soak in warm epsom salts daily. Place her in the dark or cover her cage 16 hours a day, and reduce her protein to help her stop laying (may take a couple of days.) Here is some reading for you:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

3. carrierose

carrierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Keno, OR
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the prolapse was to bad, could not get it to stay inside. I had to cull her from the flock this morning. :(
    At least I will have more room in the spring to get other breeds of chickens. I want to try a couple cuckoo marans and maybe a jersey giant or two.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Some chickens with prolapse can't be saved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by