1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

prolapsed vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimfischer, Jan 4, 2015.

1. kimfischer

kimfischer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    NE Iowa
    Hi, my hen is about 6 months old and I'm positive she has a prolapsed vent. I noticed it this morning while cleaning her cage right away I got to work and put her in Luke warm water and slowly worked it back in. I brought her back out of the water and set her down again on a towel and she instantly pushed it back out. It is a very large ball that is about the size of a golf ball. This is one of my show hens and I really don't want to kill her. I'm guessing she was trying to lay her first egg and it got stuck or she can't push it out. To me it looks like there isn't a hole there for it to come out of. It also looks like an egg is sitting in there sideways. We pushed it back in then put a gaw and a diaper over it and taped it so she can't push it back in. I forgot to add that we also put lubricant and petroleum jelly around and kinda in it. Is everything that we are doing ok or should we do other things to help her. I really like her and I don't think I could see her dead so someone please help
    thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Honey or Preparation H rubbed onto the prolapse and into the vent will help to reduce swelling. Can you feel inside the vent to check to see if you can feel an egg, or try to massage it out? When pushing the prolapsed cloaca back inside, you might hold it there with a rubber glove for at least 10 minutes. The pressure diaper may help. One problem with prolapse is that if droppings cannot be passed, then you need to probe the opening. Prolapse and egg binding can occur from a lack of calcium and with dehydration. Prolapse can recur later on. To prevent further laying while healing, placing the hen in a covered or dark area for 16 of each 24 hours, and to reduce protein in the diet. Here are some links to help you:
    http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

1 person likes this.
  3. kimfischer

Aug 21, 2013
    NE Iowa
    She has pooped but we can't find an opening for the egg to come out I have felt up in there but I didn't feel anything odd. I also have held my glove on it to hold it in for a while but she wants it out. Right now the vent seems to be pretty large and and swelling has not gone down... she is in a dark area now. We will try the honey though... is it better to quit touching it after we put the honey on it?
    Also thanks for the quick response

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep trying to push it back inside. Maybe give her a rest tonight, and try again tomorrow. If you didn't feel an egg in there, there may not be one. It's good that she is passing droppings. I hope she recovers, but with a prolapse, it can go either way. Some will do it again later.

5. kimfischer

Aug 21, 2013
    NE Iowa
    Hen is drinking, but still has prolapsed, tried putting it back in, she just pushes it right back out, she is still pooping, but there just is no hole for the egg to come out, I feel so bad for her, is there a chance that the spot were the egg is suppose to come out does not have an opening or is not developed yet?

6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Do you feed any oyster shell? If not I recommend getting some and I would recommend crushing a calcium pill and feeding it to her today.

I know a vet isn't always an option for people, but I took a hen in with a sever prolapse and they put a few strategically placed stitches. They also gave me an antibiotic. It did take a few days for the swelling to go down enough for the prolapse to go back in. Unfortunately it happened every time she tried to lay an egg and she is no longer with us. It can work though, just prepare yourself that sometimes it's just not meant to be.

I do agree with the above that you'll want to keep her in a dark area for most of the day. Make sure she's drinking enough and just keep trying. You can soak her bottom in an epsom salt bath and then apply prep h or honey. I personally thought honey did a much better job reducing the swelling quickly.

I hope things start to get better for your pullet.

7. kimfischer

Aug 21, 2013
    NE Iowa
    Sorry to report sad news, we had to put her down this evening, she had stop drinking and showing obvious signs of dehydration and pain, had to make a decision to not let her suffer. She will be missed. Thank you for all your advise, hopefully if this ever happens again I will have a little more knowledge and be able to save the next one.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. It does happen frequently with prolapsed chickens.

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Sorry for your loss. You tried your best and she is no longer suffering.

10. Peachesmemory

Peachesmemory New Egg

Apr 10, 2015
    My heart is broken...we has to say good bye to our Peaches tonight [​IMG] Due to a prolapsed vent. It started about a week ago. We were on vacation and our neighbor said there was an egg laid and the yolk was broken. When we got home from vacation we were happy to see our girls and let them out of the cop and I noticed Peaches has something going on. I did my research and quickly knew this was the issue. I did all the steps, by cleaning her up with a bath, pushing her insides back in, putting preparation H and kept her separated for 2 days to monitor. It seemed like she recovered and I put her back with her friends (we only had 5 hens). All was going good and she seemed like she had recovered. I went to let them out this evening and I noticed something was going on again, but now it was more serious. More of her insides were coming out. I would push them back in and within 10 mins it would happen again. But she seemed fine otherwise, walking around and didn't seem like she was in pain. My husband said you know what we need to do. I said not I'm not ready to make that decision yet. I'm going to do more research and see if there is something more we can do. They were roosting for the night and I heard this commotion. I saw Peaches struggling to balance on the roost, so I looked at her back end and it was happening again and now she looked like she was suffering. I knew it was time. As I'm crying my way to my husband with Peaches I handed her over and we made the tough decision to put her out of her suffering. She is buried by our other pets. I'm thinking why did I not know this going into it with chickens?? I've grown up with animals and in 4-H all my life, I even was a prevet student in college. With all my other pets you bring them to the vet, but chickens I'm finding in a lot of these cases you become the vet. Yes I know my other 4 girls will die at some point, but this stinks!! What I've learned is that prolapsed vent can be a very serious and even when you've exhausted all the recovery options, it still might not be enough and wanted to share so others know this could be the unfortunate outcome.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by