prolapsing hen rectum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rabbit00340, Feb 9, 2013.

1. rabbit00340

rabbit00340 New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    I have a 3 year old white leg horn hen named Fred. She is a faithful egg layer. Last week she stopped laying and looked like she was constantly trying to poop and making a mess on her underside. Yesterday she had lots of blood coming out of her vent...so i gave her a warm soak and rinse..gave her some vitamins and put first aid cream on her vent. Today she isn't bleeding but shes looks like shes trying to poop so hard shes prolapsing herself...its poofing out like 2 red inflamed balloons . I can't feel any egg....shes pooping...so much shes a mess...but not all of it is runny...I saw her push a solid poop out then do the balloon butt thing....she's out away from the other chickens. What ese can i do? whats wrong with her?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Put her in a darkened pen by herself so she will not try to lay eggs, Gently after a bathing with gloved hand reinsert the prolapse in if possible. Then apply hemrhoid cream around the area. Make sure she has feed and water but again NO light for a few days. To give her a chance to heal ..... Good luck and pray everything will be okay!

3. rabbit00340

rabbit00340 New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    I saw my duck attempting to rape a different chicken. It's the most horrible thing! I think that's what happened to Fred. I feel so terrible. This is my oldest favorite hen...i really hope she gets better. They had all been sick(some sort of cold/upper respitory)..and we want more chickens so we decided to start over..culled all but a few ...I kept my favorite egg layers..I'm going to take the chickens I have left to my dad and let them be with his 2 chickens. He just keeps them for eggs. His coop is small and rolls around in a field, has good shade and its been overcast for the last few days...its hard to stop a leghorn from laying. Can a chicken wear a baby diaper? Then she can stay inside with me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. rabbit00340

rabbit00340 New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    I tried to fit a diaper on her. Didnt work...but I have her in the house on top a towel... under a laundry basket in a closet where my kids cant mess with her. Also gave her a bath/rinse then used witch hazel as a compress on her tushy because I cant find the hemrhoid cream....since I noticed her hurt..iv been giving her kitchen scraps and letting her free range instead of feeding her layer food. After a bath and finding her a spot, I gave her some vitamin water and cat food. She does look a lot better today....and earlier i found an underdeveloped egg she laid...it was just a soft membrane and some eggwhite. I will take her and the other chicken i have left to my dads coop later....and those ducks are most likely going to end up dinner before we get more chickens.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Often they will prolapse when trying to lay those shell-less eggs. When mine are having laying issues, I give them a human calcium pill and it seems to help them lay down shell and push more eggs out. FYI, she might have more eggs coming, so I'd keep giving her warm baths.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by