Prolasped Intestine ? Lost one chicken now a second one with bloody bottom. Coccidiosis be a cause?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by j5house, Aug 27, 2014.

1. j5house

j5house Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

Today is Wednesday, on Sunday morning I went out to let the girls in their run and found that a Red was lying dead, looking healthy no signs of trauma until I saw her bloody swollen rear end. Also found a piece of her intestines lying a few feet away, horrific it was. Saturday had been busy they were let out in the morning, closed up after dark, I spent no time with them so I do not know what condition she was in on Saturday. I researched and concluded she had prolapsed and from the looks of things others had picked at her rear/intestines as some had dried blood on their feathers. I read two threads that said it is congenital, life went on. Today I find my brown leghorn sitting perched up high and closing her eyes, upon picking her up she too had rear end issues, this is her in the picture above. I do have a feather picker in the flock, she is a Black Sex Link, now 3 years old and has been picking on the new girls this summer. The news girls are 5 months and starting to lay. The new girls were introduced to the flock in July and have done well except for my picker Black Sex Link. One thread I read today said Coccidiosis can cause prolapse, but I am not finding that information anywhere else. Any help here would greatly be appreciated.

2 chickens with prolapse in one week and they are different breads raises big red flag! This Brown Leghorn in the photo is missing her tail feathers thanks to the Black sex link. I have brought her in, cleaned her and she is resting in a box. Going to go get Preperation H, reinsert and set up a dog crate in the laundry room. Should I treat the flock?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would suspect that your bully bird who has been pecking the others has moved on to more serious entertainment perhaps. Maybe when/if the first bird prolapsed the aggressive one started pecking it and now is pecking others in the same area? Or maybe pecking is the initial cause. I would pull that aggressive bird out for an extended time, if not permanently. One bird who pecks can easily get the rest started and before you know it you have a whole flock with a very nasty and very hard to solve problem.

As far as coccidiosis, it can always be a potential problem when you introduce new birds into the flock, it can sometimes cause blood in the stool, I've never heard of it causing prolapse.

3. j5house

Sep 17, 2011
    Thank you for replying, I told my husband I thought the plucker needs to go so you have reinforced that. While at the store she laid a soft egg with no shell and her rear end looks a little worse. She is bathed, has Preperation H and reinserted prolapse. I am holding her on her back in a towel as I read others did that for 20+ mins. She will be inside for awhile now. We also examined all the girls tonight and all looks well in the hen house.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would just keep doing what your doing with her and definitely remove the aggressive bird. At least to a separate pen for now.

5. j5house

Sep 17, 2011
    Looked good late last night, checked her before going to bed. Popped back out this morning, have cleaned, PrepH and reinserted twice already today, not sure how to keep it in,I am going to wrap her with ace as I read may help.

6. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Sorry about your hens. I have tried sugar sprinkled on the prolapse, honey smeared on the outside and with a gloved finger coated her vent internally. Using a gauze pad coated with prep h and honey held in place with vet wrap or an ace secured to her overnite worked for me. She is still able to poo unless you have it on her very tightly. You don't want her wrapped so tight she is unable to breathe properly. Had her in a warm dark box with feed and water in reach.
    I have also had a hen on my lap holding the prolapse in place for several minutes at a time. After soaking them in a warm water bath to clean bottoms.

The roosts are they high enough or far enough away from each other so a hen below doesn't have a twitching vent in her face that is tempting to be pecked? My 6mo Buffs saw the twitching vent of a bird above them on a roost and they would jump to peck it! Some of them had bright pink /red colored vents during the first couple of weeks of egg laying made a target in the fluffy feathers to be pecked.

There are some posts referring to parasites causing prolapse, worms, mites, lice or some hens predisposed physically to prolapse. I think anything can cause the hen to prolapse. Severly constipated, not enough water, improper diet, stress, problem with reproductive tract, heat, being bullied etc. We just need to observe and help them however we can. Good luck with your hens!

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think your picker-hen would benefit from pinless peepers. They do not hurt. I've used them on new roosters so they have a problem catching the girls-and it's slowed them down.

They are cheap. The prep H sounds real good. Maybe a few soaks in Epsom salts and warm water.
    I have also used ichthammol to make feathers taste bad. It's like black tar, yes it's messy but it sure saved a lot of Polish from having bald heads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by