PROLASPED........ THINK IT HAS GLEET PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sara02, Dec 18, 2016.

1. sara02

sara02 New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    I have a hen who is prolapsed with white stuff around her bottom. Not sure what it is there is like a bulge hanging out of her bottom but it isn't hard so I'm not sure if she is egg bound. I have soaked her a few times in warm water and Epsom salt. I have tried to clean the area and I have put preparation H on it as well because another website recommended. Mom is preparing me for the worst but she is still drinking water and eating some which is good?
    PLEASE HELP ME
    She is my favorite pet I love her so ........DESPERATELY NEED HELP

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures can help. In the meantime google prolapsed vent, and go to The Chicken Chick for a good article on helping. I'm not sure about the white. Most prolapsed cloacas have a red tissue coming outside, and that needs to be kept moist with honey, hemorrhoid cream, or olive oil. If the internal tissue dries out, it can die and cause complications. Push the prolapsed tissue back inside, or at least keep trying to do so.

3. sara02

sara02 New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Well it is red tissue with like white cream or not really sure, I have been keeping it moist and I have checked everything this was my last resort. They said wait for swelling to go down and push it back in which is what I'm about to do, but there is some type of bulge I'm not sure what to do with.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Go ahead and try to push it back inside. It may keep coming back outside, but keep pushing it in and hold it there for a few minutes. The honey or hemorroid cream can help swelling go down. The white could be urates. Sometimes egg binding can be a cause of prolapse, so feel inside the vent to make sure the vent is open for her to pass droppings.

5. sara02

sara02 New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    will do thank you

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is she doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by