Prolific Layer of Small Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SteveRhea, Mar 27, 2015.

1. SteveRhea

SteveRhea New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Central Florida
    After searching online for quite a while, it seems that most good egg laying breeds lay large eggs. And why wouldn't they? There's not much of a point in having small eggs, except in my case. I have a corn snake and am contemplating getting another. Rather than buying mice for them, I've been considering feeding them small eggs since I've also been wanting to get a hen, although I'm not financially ready to start my dream flock of Red Stars and Australorps.

Which breed do you think would be the most productive layer of small eggs for the purpose of feeding corn snakes?

(Also, this is my first thread, so I apologize for any beginner mistakes I've made)

2. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Breed quails not chicken, they will lay a perfect size egg for your snake!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I agree Coturnix quail is a good idea. If for some reason you want hens (quail are not for everyone), there are a number of breeds of bantams that lay very well. Stay away from the ones known for broodiness (silkies and cochins). I think bantam leghorns, rocks, wyandottes, rhode island red, etc would all be good.

4. SteveRhea

SteveRhea New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the advice! If I ever get a quail, I'll name her after Dick Cheney's lawyer! It'd be so perfect.

5. SteveRhea

SteveRhea New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Central Florida
    Dheltzel, that does sound like the perfect solution! I'll look into non-broody bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by