promised my wife i'd ask!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jsawler, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jsawler

jsawler Out Of The Brooder

k , so we have quite a few coops on the go. yet we are new to keeping chickens as pets! so we have 1 coop with 3 roos in it, another with 27 young chicks and bantys in it.plus a roaming roo we call ''mutt'' cause he roams the yard. mutt belonged to a group of three ''trouble'' roos we got from a friend. ''mutt'' was the problem. we got him to be ''o.k.'', so I go and buy a hen and roo combo. this roo is very big and aggressive. battles ''mutt'';chases ''mutt' right out of the coop, and ''mutt'' leaves , and goes to my boat house as his new home [​IMG] . so now , the 27 young birds and bantys are ready to come out of the new coop. the big roo , puts a ''whopping''' on any that come out!

I say...''cull'' the big roo...my wife says ''nooo'' , he is gorgous , and doesn't deserve that.[​IMG] . so i'm on here asking advise of what to do with these birds?????? I think ''CULL THEM'' , but my wife justifiably wants me to come on here and ask for advise first. so i'll ask......

thoughts?????

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    That's a tough situation.

I'd say lock up the big rooster for a while and allow the other chickens to come out. You might try putting that big rooster in a cage in the coop so he can see all the other chickens. This might help him get used to them without putting a "whooping" on them. :)

Do you plan to use this big rooster for breeding?

3. catinva

catinva New Egg

Sep 19, 2013
    Maybe if you isolate him for a few weeks that might bring him down in the pecking order? We did have one really aggressive rooster that would attack all the other chickens and roosters. After a few weeks he started chasing our kids, so he had to go. May he RIP.

4. jsawler

no , my wife just doesn't want to ''cull'' any roos. I have no problem feeding pets, but if this roo is a problem to the rest of the flock....I gotta figure something out!!!!

I do have another temporary coop coming up in the next few days after my meat birds get ''culled VERY soon. so I have that option....but water is soon going to freeze here, and all these coops are going to get annoying.lol

5. jsawler

never thought about it till now; but I do have a large dog kennel that I could put him into I guess. if I do, should I put him in the coop with the rest to observe them, and sort of co-mingle?

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Try the cage idea to give the rooster a chance. Put the crate in the coop so all the chickens can see each other. I'd say keep him in there for a few days with food and water in the crate. Let's call it jail time. :)

If that doesn't work, I say have a nice big roast chicken dinner.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. jsawler

see, IMO you're a smart man for that!!!! my wife's opinion;.....not so much! lol

8. jsawler

in the coop , or in the ''meaty'' coop?

9. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The rooster needs to be in a cage in the coop with the chickens you want him to live with.

The meat chickens won't be around much longer.

10. jsawler

we just moved him into the run of the meaties pen. we'll see what happens tomorrow. the meaties are inside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by