Promised pics..keeping ducklings clean with 'turf

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Spike, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Spike

Spike Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NH VIA NYC
    I promised pics of the indoor/outdoor astro-turf I use for my ducklings.

It's made keeping them clean and dryer (hence warmer), much easier. The 55gal tank they're in has an unnoticeable pitch to it. I put 2 coasters under the edge where their heat lamps are. This way any bit of water will be confined to the opposite end from where they sleep and stays on the end where their water dish is. But truthfully, the water's been minimal......so far..

I'm using a large ceramic bowl for their water but in the middle of it, I placed a big plastic coffee container that also has water in it. It raises the water level enough for them to drink, but takes up enough bowl space so they can't fit into the dish.

When the 'turf does get wet, the water kinda drops / wisks through it..the ducks basically rest on top of the dry grass. I cut more than one piece, so when I hose the dirty ones off in the shower and they're drying, I have another one to put in the tank.

It's working for me, for now and it's relatively cheap and more importantly safe IF you duct tape the edges. The "grass" will fray if you don't and that could be a serious issue, that's easily avoidable.

Anyways.. [​IMG]

You can click on these & see them a bit bigger if you want.

Here's a pic of it without tape..

[​IMG]

And this is duct taped. I folded it for the sake of showing the tape better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Looks like a good idea but I think your ducklings need more space than your aquarium provides.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i agree, they may need more space. but does that stuff really work? do they try to eat it or anything?

4. Spike

Spike Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NH VIA NYC
    When I re-sized the pictures I said the same exact thing (Re: their space). It's really not as tight as it looks...but it was the best angle I could get the pics from.

They won't be in there much longer though.. That's for sure! At 9 days old they're double the size of last week!
    I'm gonna have to give them their own room by the weekend at this rate..lol

Seriously though, I plan on moving them into bigger digs very soon.

Yes, 'turf really does work..., but like I said, if you have to cut it to fit, you must tape the edges or it will fray up.

Those pics are right after their bath in the tub this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by