promoting young birds to switch from ground to elevated roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Jan 9, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Occasionally I transfer small groups of cage or brooder reared juveniles to outdoor pens or free ranging. Problem I have had is that when in smaller groups, the transferred birds do not readily adopt elevated roost provided. They stay on ground. In the free range setting this makes them extremely vulnerable to predation and sometimes the elements. Larger groups have not been a problem since they were imprinted to a box that I could move to elevated location. The problematic smaller groups were not imprinted to box owing to it being impractical in their smaller rearing environment where box does not fit.

I suspect the roosting on ground is in part related to staying warm. Want to know what can be done to entice chicks to adopt elevated roost. Somehow hens entice chicks to roost higher up. If need be, the smaller groups will be imprinted as well but the box will make their already tight brooding area even tighter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by