1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Proof That Chickens Will Eat Anything

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BeckyLa, Nov 30, 2007.

1. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Child's ID Bracelet Missing for Decades is Discovered in Gizzard of Minnesota Chicken

FAIRMONT, Minn. — More than two decades after Aaron Giles lost his identity bracelet, he's finding how it was discovered tough to swallow.

A meat cutter at Olson Locker in Fairmont came across the shiny object in a chicken gizzard and saw a name, address and phone number engraved on it.

"I've heard of livestock swallowing unusual objects, but this situation stands out," Mark Olson, who owns the meat locker, told the Sentinel of Fairmont.

Giles had lived in Fairmont as a child and played hide-and-seek and other games with his brothers in their grandfather's barn near Sherburn.

"I would spend most of my time out at his farm, and that's the only place I can think of that I would have lost it," Giles said about his bracelet on Thursday. The 31-year-old said he thinks the bracelet was lost when he was 4 or 5.

The barn was dismantled a few years ago, and Giles thinks his bracelet was imbedded in materials used to construct another barn in Elmore, about 45 miles away.

The bracelet was found in a chicken that came from an Elmore farm.

Olson was able to track down Giles' father, who had moved to Arizona. Giles, who now lives in Gloucester, Mass., said he received his old bracelet in September.

"It was in pretty immaculate shape. Everything was working on it, and all the engravings on it were still legible," Giles said. "It was quite the surprise."

Giles said he expects the bracelet to stay in his family for many years to come. "I have no plans on trying to lose it again," he said.​

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Amazing! Thanks for the post!

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Wow! I love stories like that!

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that is so excellent. [​IMG]

makes me feel better about my dog that ate a lense from my glasses the other week.

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Little thieves is what they are! I had a hen peck a gold stud out of my ear once. DH told me I could probably find it the next good rain storm. I told him she could keep it. [​IMG]

6. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Interesting story! [​IMG]

My chicks like eating wood shavings and illustration boards.

7. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That's amazing!!!

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Maybe personal things like that really have a way of karmically getting back to where they belong? In high school, many eons ago, me and a crazy group of friends had saved money all year to spend sun fun week at mrytle beach, sc and when we were there we found a boy's high school ring under the bed. It was alot of trouble to track the out of state school down and then figure out who the boy was and get the ring in the mail back to him, we never heard back fro him so at least in this case the owner acknowledges the finder and the chicken messenger, haha! I think it's so neat when personal "stuff" finds it's way back to it's owner! I do hate the chicken was being processed for a meal when it was found though [​IMG] Darlene

10. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Olympia ate my pearl earring when she was a teeny chick. Still hasn't come out![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by