Proof that staples are not enough!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rainierlass, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    My friend gave me his chicken ark as he had lost his flock to coons.........be sure to attach your hardware cloth with screws and large washers........predators are persistent.......here is the result of hardware cloth and staples........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Wow, I had no idea coons could rip hardware cloth like that! Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that visual in mind when building!

3. WildChicken

WildChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Fitzgerald, GA
    Is your friend sure that was the work of racoons?

4. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    It is too weird! Those diagonal rips are too perfect and look like they've been sheared with metal shears and then torn open. Looks more like the work of a ticked off neighbor or kids looking for the wrong kinda fun.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I kind thought so too, but have no experience to go from.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:My 1st thought was that looks like it has been cut if you look the hardware cloth is still attached to the wood.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I caught a coon in a live trap and it almost destroyed the trap before I released it. You'd be surprised how incredibly strong a big coon can be.

8. nhorrin

nhorrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dealt with racoons for years. Both with chickens and in my garden. They are very agile and smart, but I dought they did this damage. Looks like humans to me!

9. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    I dont think you got coon problems. looks like two legged problem, look for tracks

10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I dunno- I could see a racoon tearing up the staples, but actually ripping hardware cloth? (and in a nice straight line?) I can barely get through it with the metal sheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by