1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

proof times are tough.... very very sad.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by what was i thinking, Jan 26, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That is so sad that someone that old had to die like that. These are hard times right now, and I really disagree with the utility companies blanket "shut off" notices......

3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I am furious. This man froze to death. Incredible and so, so wrong.

It makes me just as mad to read the power company representative say they did nothing wrong. I can't even print what I said when I read that part of the article.

John Dunne said, "Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

If we don't get this, even if we represent a power company, then we have completely lost our moral compass.

I am holding my head in shame and disgust.

Wow, I hope I don't get smacked for being so openly upset here. I can't express it any other way.

4. Solace

Solace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    The power company didn't just disconnect his power folks. It's a very sad story though.

5. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    There must be a better alternative than to cut off the power to a 93 year old man. I mean, he couldn't go get a job, I'm pretty certain. Somebody dropped the ball, and it wasn't just the neighbors.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Unfortunately most electric companies do not care, we have a Cooperative and I have to pay a fee every year to be a member. I contribute to the "round up" program where my bill is rounded to the next amount and the money goes to help people in need that can't pay their electric.
    I am unemployed, through no fault of my own and am fighting to get my UE Benefits, I needed help last month to pay my bill, could I get it, NO!

I have been with this same company since 2000 and could not get help once, they were like, Pay it or we shut it off!

There should be stuff set in place, especially for older people and people with kids that prevents this.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Locked we are in the same position this month. I need to call tomorrow and see if we can get an extention.... Wish me luck.

8. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I understand being upset, but the electric company might not have known his story. Someone should have helped contact Social Services or something. He owed $1000.00. Last month they cut my daughters electric off for $15.00 and she has 2 boys 5 and 1. It cost me almost $500.00 to get her electric back on, the $15 she owed, 100 reconnect fee and 375.00 deposit.

9. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    I'll be taking a copy of this article to work with me tomorrow. I am a Visiting Nurse and we cover our entire County. We are always on the lookout for these situations so that we can intervene and contact the proper agencies for assistance.
    It is all of our responsibilities to make sure that our elderly and disabled family, friends and neighbors are safe, warm and fed!! Our family even looks in the elderly neighbors that were always "old codgers" to everyone. We are our Brothers/Sisters/Mothers/Fathers keepers. If you know of anyone in this kind of situation contact your County Social Services.

This should have never happened. Where was this man's family and neighbors. Why didn't the utility company call social services.[​IMG] This breaks my heart.[​IMG]

10. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I'm not saying that the power company knows the situation and still cuts off the power. I'm just wishing and hoping that we could be more compassionate as a society, and make it part of the process to find out WHY someone hasn't paid, and even if we disagree with the reason, don't cut off their power in the middle of winter. At this point, it doesn't matter who's legally right.

I just saw buckeye lady's post. Thank you for what you are doing to prevent this.

Debi, I hope you get a compassionate ear tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by