Proper Color Titles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TrystInn, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I have a couple of mystery boys, whom I'm trying to sort out with the genetics calculator, to figure out what color they are so I can breed them properly with our ladies. I've always had solid colored birds, so these little guys are throwing me for a loop and I could use folks' opinions.

This is our Ameraucana cockerel, Quicksilver, hatched roughly 3/19/11 (I bought him at the Monroe Poultry Show):

[​IMG]

Then there's our little Cochin cockerel, Red Chief, bred here at home on 7/5/11. His father was a gorgeous Splash roo, his mother was a black Cochin hen:

[​IMG]

This little guy, Grumpus Minimus, hatched in the Fall of 2010, a Frizz Silkie Cockerel:

[​IMG]

And his older buddy, Napoleon Blownaparte, also hatched in the Fall of 2010, another Frizz Silkie Cockerel:

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The beautiful Ameraucana cockerel is a Silver duckwing. (e+/e+ and S/S)

The other three are mainly theoretical ---

The Cochin is, well, either not the parentage you mentioned or one of them is carrying a hidden partridge gene or the sorts. He's likely E/e^b and s+/s+ as well as Bl/bl

The first sizzle cross is likely E/e^b and S/s+

The second sizzle cross is possibly e^b/e^b , Co/Co (or Co/co+) and s+/s+

3. TrystInn

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Quote:I'm so biased because I think he's gorgeous, I couldn't begin to decide what he was!

"The Cochin is, well, either not the parentage you mentioned or one of them is carrying a hidden partridge gene or the sorts. He's likely E/e^b and s+/s+ as well as Bl/bl"

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out who else may have contributed - the Splash roo was the only male available to her (the other males at that time were the bantam Sizzles in a separate pen/coop combination. There's a slight chance that one of the Rhodies may have snuck an egg on the nest, it'd be a freak lay as they are fairly old gals and I thought fully retired.

"The first sizzle cross is likely E/e^b and S/s+
    The second sizzle cross is possibly e^b/e^b , Co/Co (or Co/co+) and s+/s+"

Thank you! I'll get back to the calculator and see what breeding possibilities we have here.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Napoleon Blownaparte - I love that name!! Beautiful too!

5. TrystInn

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Quote:Thank you! We do specialize in goofy names around here, helped tremendously by the neighborhood kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by