Proper egg weight for LF hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Juley, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Juley

Juley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2012
    SW Washington state
    Dear chicken wizards,
    What is the weight range for hatching eggs? I have pullets/young hens that I hatched out last spring and would like to hatch some of the eggs, btw they are standard BBS orpingtons. The eggs are not the tiny pullet eggs they started out laying, nor are they the super extra jumbo monsters my 2 yrs old buff is laying. Usually around 60 gm. This is my first year hatching my own eggs so I haven't a clue. I just know you don't want them too small or large.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    57 grams is a Large egg, 64 grams extra large. A large egg is perfectly fine to incubate for Reds. If they were Rocks a Medium egg size would be OK as that breed lays Med. to Large eggs as Hens.

Larger is better. The too large eggs that you don't want to incubate are the double yolk eggs. Hatching twins is exceedingly rare so usually only one small chick survives. Smaller eggs is smaller less energetic chicks which results in smaller and usually less productive hens. Larger is better and never use a small or peewee egg if the breed does not lay small eggs as hens.

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Currently in our incubator, our lightest was 58g and the heaviest 72g. For an average of 63.8g

Your 60g will do fine.

4. Juley

Juley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2012
    SW Washington state
    Thanks for the info. Think we're in good shape for making babies! Btw, the gigantic eggs the buff is laying are all single yolks. They have been running 90-105 gm. Think she is just trying to show all the other girls how tough she is. She is the same hen that flipped my 10 lb. roo on his back for being to rough with one of the new girls. She has tuned up the cat too. Sweet girl around humans though. That's her on my avatar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by