proper nutrition

chickynparadise

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 6, 2014
Sumter, SC
Am I feeding my girls properly? They have pellets (took their crumble away because they only tossed it onto the ground) they have a separate container for grit, I throw a few mealworms out daily and I always try to have fresh fruit or veggies laying around.

I am asking because something is wrong with one of my girls. She won't move, she just sits in her nesting box. Took her to the vet today and he thought possible gout. We were fortunate and she gave him some poop to test, that came up negative. He gave her medicine and said she would be better tonight but she isn't.

I am trying to figure out if their diet is a problem.

Am I feeding my girls properly? They have pellets (took their crumble away because they only tossed it onto the ground) they have a separate container for grit, I throw a few mealworms out daily and I always try to have fresh fruit or veggies laying around.

I am asking because something is wrong with one of my girls. She won't move, she just sits in her nesting box. Took her to the vet today and he thought possible gout. We were fortunate and she gave him some poop to test, that came up negative. He gave her medicine and said she would be better tonight but she isn't.

I am trying to figure out if their diet is a problem.

What pellets are you feeding? Are you free feeding or feeding controlled amounts? If controlled amounts are being fed, how much are you feeding daily?
What is she doing while sitting in the nest? Are you at all familiar with the behavior of a broody hen?

they have access to the pellets anytime they choose. I recently switched to pellets from crumble. I cannot say exactly what kind at this time without walking out to the shed. I just had someone reply to my other thread and yes, she sounds exactly like a broody hen. Tomorrow we will create an area to keep her from the nesting boxes, I was told that may take 3-4 days and would create a solution.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom