Proper polish care.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by quails-101, Sep 23, 2016.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    What is the proper polish chicken care I have heard that they get lice in their hair and the other chickens pull at their afro. People are making it sound really hard to car for them. I just have been raising them like any other chicken and let them dust in poultry dust.

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Apparently mites/lice do like their 'fro, so I just make sure to catch them up and check it every once in a while. Should do this with all chickens really, checking vents and such for bugs.

I did put them in the coop that has the bantams, Silkies, and Cochins rather than the regular laying flock...basically all the chickens who have weird feathering. Figured they were mostly ornamental anyway so they could earn their keep by keeping the garden free of pests. I imagine as long as your chickens don't get too bored, keeping the Polish in a mixed flock wouldn't be an issue.

If they're having trouble seeing because their crest is in the way, you can use masking tape to gather the feathers into a top knot.

3. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Ok thank you. people are making it seem hard to raise them. They get along with the seramas and cochins so that's good. and I think I have 2 cockerel polish. I only have 2 polish though so I need to buy more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by