Proper Protein amount in layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rick&Chris, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

I have chickens that are 6 months old - I have 10 girls and am getting 5-6 eggs per day. My husband accidentally bought 20% protein layer feed. Is this too high? I think we were giving them 18% before.

2. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    It's fine.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    It's probably a little higher than needed but it should be fine.

Rick&Chris likes this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I don't feed layer anymore ... Start off with medicated chick starter than switch to Flock Raiser (20%) adding a separate dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying. Never had an issue with shells nor eggs. It was discussed, and makes sense to me, hens laying need the protein cause the energy/work it takes to lay an egg, which is protein.

5. Molliep2

Molliep2 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    Hi, is flock raiser a good option for laying hens better than layer feed? I am thinking of switching my feeds and am unsure of which one to choose. Thanks!

DobieLover likes this.
  6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I would highly recommend using a Flock Raiser type feed with 18 to 20% protein with oyster shell or other calcium source as well as grit offered in separate containers.

This way the pullets/hens that are actively laying can use the calcium when they need it. Young pullets not yet laying, moulting pullets/hens and cockerels/roosters do not need all that extra calcium that is in layer mixes.

They will always need the extra protein either to make eggs, make feathers or make warm chickens in the cold winters during egg laying breaks.

Shadrach and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. Molliep2

Molliep2 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    Hi,
    Thank you for your info! I only have three hens who are of laying age, is that okay?

ChickNanny13 and DobieLover like this.
  8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yes. Feed them Flock Raiser for the rest of their lives. Offer oyster shell or dried crushed egg shell in one container and grit in another and you are all set.

Shadrach and ChickNanny13 like this.
  9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I only have 4BOs, a year old next month. 50# bag last me about 2months (fermented). Due to our weather here and our feed being shipped from the Mainland, it at least a month aged although due to ocean conditions, sometimes older :hit
    I've had issues with feed mites, so started freezing the feed in 2lbs freezer ziplock bags, defrosting a bag over night when needed. Wish we could get it in 25# bags ...

10. Leigti

Leigti Songster

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I have also decided not to feed layer food. I feed grower food to all my chickens no matter their ages. For baby chicks I buy a 5 pound bag of chick feed when it is gone they also get grower. Are use the medicated chick feed. Not sure if that is even necessary. Just have oyster shell on the side for when they need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: