1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Proper starter food for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by w8tn4fresheggs, Mar 24, 2007.

1. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Hello everyone, I will be getting my chicks soon. I have been wondering about a few things and have looked to see if anyone else has asked. I didn't see it so I will post.

I bought medicated chick feed. Does that mean I don't have to put the syrup, vinegar, etc in the water that everyone is talking about?

I also bought chick grit. Do I mix this up with the chick feed or do I give it to them separately? A certain amount?

Do I need oyster shells at this point for them also?

I bought pads at Walmart for puppy training for the floor of the brooder. I really don't want to start with shaving at this young of an age, in case they eat them. I have heard of people using paper towels. So I thought the puppy pads would work and they are super absorbent.

Any other suggestions as far as food and water?

Thanks, Steph

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I do not recommend adding anything to the water for baby chicks unless they have just arrived from being shipped or appear in distress. So for that...fresh water only (not too cold, not too hot).

Use medicated or regular chick starter as feed. No other supplements - this will give them everything they need at this time. [​IMG] Oyster shell is only for laying hens...not good for baby chicks.

The puppy pads were a good idea. I haven't thought of that and use paper towels. But I have extra puppy pads that I don't use anymore because my pup is now house trained...so will try it. Thanks for that suggestion. [​IMG]

Jody

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If all you are feeding them is their chick starter, they won't need any chick grit eather. If they get to run around outside, they will probably find all the pebbles they need.

4. w8tn4fresheggs

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Thanks for your help. Steph

5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    If your chicks have been vaccinated, I don't think you should feed medicated starter. I'm a newb as well, so I don't know the exact reason, and I don't know if it applies only to the cocci vaccine. Surely there's a more knowledgable person here who can share some insight. Luckily, I found out after only 2 days of feeding medicated starter to my vaccinated chicks. (yesterday being day 2)- but i've purchased the proper feed now. Thank goodness for all of the wonderful people here!

6. w8tn4fresheggs

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    I am having them vaccinated. So does that mean that I shouldn't give them the medicated chick feed that I have? Now I am confused. Steph

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If your peeps are vaccinated for cocci, you can't feed the medicated feed. If it's just the Merek's vac, then you can feed medicated starter.

bigzio

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  8. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    On McMurray's website, they say that feeding medicated chick starter will nullify your vaccine.

9. w8tn4fresheggs

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    It is just for the Merek's vac. I also bought some stuff to put in the water that is medicine. I think I need to take that back. One or the other or none.

So the best thing is to have no medication in the feed and water?

Steph

10. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    for mine i just use chickie crumble
    is that alright?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by