Proper wire mesh size

DesiLee13

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
Kansas City, MO
My husband recently recreated a chicken run/pen for our chickens and used 2"x4" wire for it. I was worried that our younger chickens might be able to get out of a hole that big. Is there a certain size wire that should be used so that they cannot squeeze through the holes? Our youngest chickens are around 5 weeks.

Welcome! The safest is 1/2" hardware cloth, well secured. You can add it right over the 2x4" wire. Woven wire is safer than welded wire, but adding hardware cloth really will help. If the pen has a dig-proof base, and is totally enclosed, great. If it's only 'relatively' safe, at least lock the birds in a safe coop every night. Predators WILL come! Mary

We finished fencing our chicken run today with 5ft 2 x 4 welded wire fencing, went and fetched our 7 week old chicks and introduced them to their new playground, turned our backs for two minutes and the little devils were out! This is a 44' x 33' space and zoom they apparently needed to be on the other side of that fence.
An hour and a half later we had put a second layer of fencing this time 1 inch chicken wire all the way around the perimeter excepting the part where it is attached to the duck run ... once again turned away and they were through the chain link there.
They are all safely tucked up in the new coop tonight and tomorrow morning I will be out bright and early to put yet more chicken wire along the duck run side.
Hubby and I were just discussing them and decided that once they are full grown we will be trimming wings and maybe putting some netting over the open part of their run.

The worst offenders where the Speckled Sussex, even once returned to the run they then watched us as we put the chicken wire up, going to have to watch them carefully apparently they are escape artists !

Last edited:
Yes, young chicks can get through 2" x 4" wire, we have it INSIDE our coop building dividing the chickens from the storage area. When ours were young we found one of our chicks hanging by it's leg, caught on the wire. She was OK after a night in a cage to rest the leg.

Also, 2" x 4" wire will not keep out many predators (rats, weasels, mink, snakes) nor wil it keep predators like raccoons from reaching in and grabbing your birds.

Hardware cloth is the best choice, over the 2x4" wire. Mary
Our welded wire is 1/2” by 1” and I am having some real concerns about something small having access to them, I have heard weasels can squeeze through very small openings. I have seen recommendations for the half inch wire but too late.

Not necessarily; Do whatever is easier. Removing it might look better, but two layers of wire will be stronger. I have 1/2" hardware cloth, with 2"x4" woven wire over the lower four feet, all stapled with big fence staples, and then with boards screwed in over that into the framing. IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG Old photos when it was first rebuilt, junk still around. Need new pictures!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom