Property ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by theron, May 8, 2011.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    So we have been looking at getting some property for some time now. We don't really want to move, but would like some place close.
    Here are the requirements:
    - 10 minutes from home
    - 5 to 10 acres or maybe more
    - no house on it
    - more fielded than woody

We found the perfect place. 15 acres mostly all pasture, fenced in, no house, 7 minutes from home.

My mom doesn't really agree with it though. She says that people could take advantage that we don't live there and kill our animals or something. I have a two very close friends that live 30 seconds from the property and they said they would watch out for something that doesn't look right. There is also a house right next to it and that might change the minds of the idiots. For the predator problem, we were thinking a few llamas or donkey. Where we are at right now is just a little bit out of a subdivision and my dad and I think that it isn't very good to have these roosters and geese with pretty close neighbors. The geese would definitely go on the property along with maybe some chickens and the ducks. What do you guys think? There is no house on it, but we have a trailer that we could put on the property and live in that during the summer. So, What do you think? I just need a little input. Thanks

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I think there is more to it than she is worried about the animals. Perhaps she is worried about how to pay for the land/fuel to drive for daily upkeep [​IMG] I don't know, was mom even on board from the start with the plan to buy such a place?

3. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Yea. She said if we could find a place close to home and it was not too many acres and wasn't way too expensive, then we could think about it. She grew up on a dairy farm and she tells me almost daily that she misses it and we can have a farmstead of our own.

4. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I say go for it [​IMG] Make sure that fencing is secure so you don't have animals wandering off the lot. Also, if theres no outbuilding, you'll have to build a coop or housing. I think a llama would be excellent protection against coyotes (they hate coyotes and have been known to trample them to death on occasions). Although I don't know how they do against coons, possums and predators of that ilk [​IMG]. And lets see some pics! [​IMG]

5. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Anyone else? And thanks uncle rico and cindiloohoo for your input! [​IMG]

6. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    my two main concerns by having land you use but don't live on are people taking advantage, and predators accessing your livestock without your knowledge. if you can work around those risks though, i think it sounds great [​IMG] course, i'd personally want to buy the land and just set up camp on it hah.

7. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Quote:That is what I want to do, but the DM said no unless we use our camping trailer [​IMG]

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    My DH and I have 16 acres 3 miles from the city limits. While we don't keep poultry out there, we do have horses and we have never had any trespassing or any other incident. If you secure your animals, they should be fine.

9. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Whos paying for the property? You or DM? If your paying for it, how can she tell you what you can do with it? I would buy it. If its only 7 minutes away, and you have people close by to keep an eye on it when your not there, I dont see a problem. I would do it.

Rammy

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I would do it. I am buying property (just under two-thirds of an acre) but it's with the intention of living there. Basically because I am paying rent here, and where I am buying is 52 miles away. If it were only 7 minutes away and there was no house, I would make a really secure coop and run - and go for it. WITH the intention of someday moving there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by