Proposed legislation for Anne Arundel County MD! Spread the word.

Hokie Eagle

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
Good afternoon all! Please get the word out and write, call, completely bombard your AACO Councilmen!!

A new bill was introduced to ALLOW chickens in Anne Arundel County MD. This bill was introduced on September 16th 2013.

Basically, the bill will allow 4 chickens on a 10,000 SF lot and
8 chickens on a 20,000 SF lot. No roosters.
There are a few other minor changes and minimum coop size restrictions but they are looking to allow them.

It still seems that there isn't much hope for it to pass according to the two councilmen who introduced the bill but maybe we can change that if we rally the support!

Public TESTIMONY: October 21st at 7:00 (PM I assume)

They need 4 votes to pass. Hopefully the two councilmen introducing the legislation are onboard but we still need to convince at least two more

Link to proposed legislation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ay5k0utnmsbl01/79 13 Chicken Legislation.pdf

Here is a link to the council districts in our county:
http://www.aacounty.org/Elections/CouncilMaps.cfm#.UjxvHBaTPJw
Districts 5 and 6 are the ones introducing the bill.

I will try to PM everyone on here that has mentioned living in AACO.

Good luck to us! I will do what I can but I really hope folks out there can really spread the word on all forms of social media and don't forget to physically contact your council members!!!

Meghannsix ...... definitely check on the county website for the rules. You have to be there at least by 6:45 that night to sign up to speak. You are allowed only 2 minutes when your name is called. It may also mention a proper way to address the council (or I read that on here somewhere).

I met with Councilman Trumbauer last week to discuss the legislation. He feels pretty good about it bet said whether or not it passes will likely rest with the districts in the middle part of the county. He said the northern part of the county has historically been uninterested in this type of legislation and the southern part has been for it. The middle part of the county has been on the fenc so to speak.

It was very helpful to meet with him. He discouraged online petitions and form letters showing support. He said it is MUCH more effective to send your council member a peonalized letter. He also suggested that if a LOT of people show up in support (we can only hope), then the will ask who all is in favor of the legislation to raise heir hand or stand and then let a few speak on behalf of the bill.

Hope to see you there! Spread the word! Get folks to send a letter. Refer them to this thread for info!

Back
Top Bottom