proposed new bird laws in Seattle

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Godsgrl, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    > Just a couple note. The full thing can be read at the following link.
    >
    > 1. King County is Seattle basically. So it's no small area. If this passes here it will spread like a zoonotic disease.
    >
    > 2. This Regulation is placing Animal Husbandry and Pet Shop business managment under the Control of the 'HEALTH DEPARTMENT" Animals will now be equal to people in King Co.
    >
    > 3. This Regulation will require every pet shop to acquire the Name, Address, and Phone Number of EVERY Pet buyer. Every buyer of a Parrot, hamster, iguana, etc... will be known. Not just that, but every pet shop will be required to have this information on the sources they buy from too.
    >
    > This means under a Freedom of Information act request- ANYONE can access this info, know what kind of pet you bought, know where you live, and even be able to call you. To think AR folks won't use this info for mailings or making calls is naive.
    >
    > And does the Health Dept. even have that kind of authority to impose such a requirement.
    >
    > 4. They'll also be mandating Building design, which oversteps local Building Code authorities.
    >
    > 5. GET THIS ONE!- ALL Psittacines will now be required to be carry a WARNING label. (akin to Tobacco) That Parrots spread Psittacosis and that humans are at risk.
    >
    > ALL POULTRY will also require a Warning label too, that a person buying a chick can catch Salmonella.
    >
    > 6. King Co. is also declassifying Live Poultry as Livestock/Agricultu re and putting them into the Pet category. Feed Stores and Farms selling live poultry will be required to have Cleanlines standards equal to what's being required of a pet shop. And worse, because of caging requirements, it may even require each chick to have its own space. A trough of chicks will be no more.
    >
    > 7. There are new permit requirements, and all kinds of stuff. The list goes way beyond what I've highlighted here.
    >
    > I'm not opposed to requiring common sense sanitation. I can agree with that, and it does fall under Human Health even too, to make sure people aren't exposed to disease.
    >
    > BUT, labeling Parrots with a warning. And mandating animal husbandry and business management and non-animal related record keeping even, goes WELL beyond the "intent" of human health and safety. And factually, ANIMALS ARE NOT PEOPLE! Health Dept. should not be given the authority of animal welfare.
    >
    > IF this passes in King County, which is clearly being used as a test case, it WILL pass everywhere. It will be used as the example organization can use to get something like this passed everywhere else.
    >
    > OH, and lastly, THE HEARING IS NEXT THURSDAY- JAN 21! Lots of notice!
    >
    > I don't live in Seattle, but I do think this is a MAJOR deal for every person here. If Psittacines are Legally labeled in Seattle as a Public Health hazard, and this Regulation does label them that way, it WILL affect us ALL everywhere in the US. It will become a fact every Animal Rights activist will use to skewer us all.
    >
    > I do think some Legal help is needed by those pet shops in Seattle. There's so many holes in this, but I don't thing a public hearing by average folks will do any good at this point. PLUS- King County is AR Central. Which is the point of this in the first place, to make it that much harder to sell a pet, and give Big Brother an even better look at our private choice of pet.
    >
    > Anyway, here's the link. Cut-n-paste and backspace spaces, if Yahoo chews it up.
    >
    > http://pijac. org/_documents/ wa_king_county_ revised.pdf
    >
    > Obviously check out pijac.org for more info too.
    >
    > Donna Oberg
    > Board of Health Administrator
    > 401 5th Ave, Suite 1300 Seattle, WA 98104
    >
    > Written testimony may also be forwarded to the Board of Health Administrator
    > [email protected] kingcounty. gov
    >
    > Further instructions on testimony can be found on the King County website
    > http://www.kingcoun ty.gov/healthser vices/health/ ehs/petregs. aspx
    >
    >
    > PLEASE SPREAD THIS EVERYWHERE! If King County passes this, it will affect every bird/animal breeder, poultry breeder, poultry farm, pet shop, and PET/POULTRY BUYER in the country eventually. And it gives a new tactic to make this a Health issue too, which is completely bogus.

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    "This means under a Freedom of Information act request- ANYONE can access this info, know what kind of pet you bought, know where you live, and even be able to call you. To think AR folks won't use this info for mailings or making calls is naive."

Not exactly true the information belongs to the pet shop not the state.

A private entity is not subject to FOIA only a governmental entity is.

3. tsasquatch

tsasquatch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Does anyone know if this is going to mean more strictly enforced chicken laws/ changing the chicken laws in seattle for number of birds allowed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by