Proposed Wording for City of Sarasota Florida Urban Chicken Code

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by SarasotaClucker, Nov 9, 2010.

1. SarasotaClucker

SarasotaClucker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] SO awesome you got it passed!!

Sec. 8-2. Keeping livestock and certain animals prohibited.

This section only covers livestock, who can keep them, what species can be kept, where, etc. So, I don't see any reason for the "and certain animals prohibited" at all. I think in ours it says "Keeping of Livestock" rather than just "Keeping Livestock" but I think it works either way, I just think the OF sounds a little better, my personal opinion.

On the what livestock thing... they draw a line between poultry and livestock, but nothing else.

If it was me, and I was shooting for laymen being able to understand it... and thus obey it.... I'd mix what you've got with what my city has... ours is big on defining terms so that there's no gray area... there is a whole rant about selling birds, no coloring... just a bunch of stuff... I'll add that if you want, but for now... I'd go with something like this...

Sec. 8-2. Keeping of Livestock

Livestock shall mean one or more domesticated animals raised in an agricultural setting to produce commodities such as food, fiber and/or labor. This includes cattle, horses, goats, llamas, pigs, emu, donkey, sheep and fowl. The only exceptions to this definition will be the keeping of chickens, Gallus gallus domesticus, and the keeping of rabbits as defined in Sec. 8-3.

(1) Except for a retail establishment engaging in the lawful sale of animals and Sarasota Jungle Gardens, it shall be unlawful for any person to keep, harbor, raise or maintain any livestock except in an area zoned as agricultural.

Sec. 8-3 Keeping of Chickens and Rabbits

(A) When keeping chickens, a person commits an offense if he:

(1) Keeps or maintains more than four (4) chickens on any property.
    (2) Fails to keep chickens contained in a movable covered enclosure (i.e. “chicken tractor”) or in a fenced enclosure at all times.
    (3) Kills a chicken for consumption. Culling to prevent the spread of disease, or to prevent suffering, is allowed provided the carcass is disposed of in a sanitary manner.
    (4) Places any covered or fenced enclosure within ten (10) feet of any adjacent property line.
    (5) Fails to construct and/or maintain all enclosures for the keeping of chickens as to prevent rodents or other pests from being harbored underneath, within, or within the walls of the enclosure and to protect the chickens from predators.
    (6) Fails to keep enclosures in neat condition, including provision of clean, dry bedding materials and regular removal of waste materials and the proper disposal of any waste materials.
    (7) Fails to keep all feed and any other items associated with the keeping of chickens secure against rodents or other pests.
    (8) Keeps or maintains any rooster (male gallus gallus domesticus) except in an area zoned as agricultural.

(B) When keeping rabbits, an owner may:

(1) Keep rabbits as pets within a completely enclosed dwelling or detached garage capable of housing at least two cars;
    (2) Keep up to two (2) rabbits in an outside enclosure, coop or pen.

?? Is there any limit as to the number of pet rabbits a person can have in their house?
    ?? Is there any rule as to how far a rabbit hutch must be from an adjacent property?
    ?? Maybe you could specify Family Leporidae for the rabbits, but I'm not sure??

That's just my two (hundred) cents on the thing... I think ours are more complicated then they need to be. When I called animal control I was juggled around until finally I got one who said "All I know is you can have four"... if even those enforcing it can't understand it what hope is there that citizens will? Wonder how many people here have decided not to just because they couldn't tell for sure if they were legal or not?

Also... outlining what will happen if you do commit an offense would be helpful... ours doesn't do that at all. It's just this mystery threat that annoys me. They outline the fines, impound fees, license... EVERYTHING for cats and dogs, but just couldn't bother with letting us know what chicken keepers were in for if they broke a rule. Does that mean there's no limit to the fine? A scary thought? Can the AC person just make one up on the spot?? Scary! Better to have the facts laid out, and steps in place so in case someone chooses to break it there is a clear plan for the AC to follow. Again, just my opinion, but I hope maybe I helped...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by