1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Propper Temp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k625, Aug 17, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hello all again. Another typical newbie question. I tired to search for the correct temp for about 1-2 week olds but couldnt find anything. I have a 95 watt light bulb in there with a towel over the other side so it is not too drafty, because the chicks have to stay inside my house becuase its just too too hot here in Fl. The temp in their box is around 90 or so. Thank so much everyone! [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't measure the temps ever. Just play it by ear with how the chicks are acting, increase temp if huddling, decrease temp if far away from light.

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    My temp has been around 85 at night and 80 during the day, unless they're outside - then they're chasing bugs and don't seem to care! [​IMG]

4. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Oh okay lol, im just such a nervous mother. I had a 95 watt...too hot was over 100 degrees in there, then put in a 40...too cold only about 80..now i have 60 watt so we will see what the temp is.. Ive read it should be around 90-95 for the first week and then drop 5 degrees or so every week after that until room temp..is that true or is it just on how your chicks respond. Thanks for the help!!

5. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I'd go with how your chicks respond, mine haven't bunched up at all - even at lower temps when they're sleeping they're just spread out all over the floor of the brooder. [​IMG]
    Now and again they'll lie right next to each other, in pairs or groups of three - but thats as close as they seem to get!

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have mine in a spare bedroom and I just hang a 25w red blub over the brooder for about a week. I then just leave it off most of the time because that room has no a/c so it stays around 80*. They have been fine I see your in newberry. I'm in Ocala so welcome to the board.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by